the MENU data can pump in by using xml file ?

  • yoonfui83
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 2007
      hi,

      i am figuring out the menu's data can pump in by using XML file ? cause
      i need real time updating for my menu.

      currently im using js and hardcoded in my jsp file there . it it not
      real life and big problem if come to real life update.
    • Appasamy T
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 26, 2007
        Hi yoon,

                  Are u going to use  Ajax call to dynamcially update the menu on each click or just static menu while page loading from an XML located somewhere?

        everthing is possible. Please tell your requirement clearly

        yoonfui83 <yoonfui83@...> wrote:
        hi,

        i am figuring out the menu's data can pump in by using XML file ? cause
        i need real time updating for my menu.

        currently im using js and hardcoded in my jsp file there . it it not
        real life and big problem if come to real life update.

        SHOUT IT OUT! Tell everyone, from anywhere, that you're online on Yahoo! Messenger

      • yoonfui83
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 27, 2007
          hi,

          static menu but while page laoding the js will call the xml and write
          out the menu data list .

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Appasamy T <appasamy_t@...>

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 27, 2007
            ok write code as follows

            var oMenuBar = new YAHOO.widget.MenuBar("menubar", { autosubmenudisplay:true,lazyload:true,clicktohide: false});

            //some loop
            var menuitem = document.getElementById("something");
            oMenuBar.addItem(menuitem );
            //end loop

            Java JSON parser available in JSON.org use it and convert XML to JSON using ajax call and return it back and use it if you want complete menu with sub menu items defined in XML.But its tedious .

            Keep a .json file instead of .xml file and read it and provide  JSON format iteself in to the addItems().
            It reduces all ur XML parsing tasks and all. Also it provides good readability.

            Regards
            T.Appu

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 29, 2007
              hi,

              any import i need to do if i choose to use JSON?
              how to read a .json file from fs ?
              how to implement json into my YUI - menu?

              pls provide some reference. first time study JSON?
              now do R & D for JSON.
              thanks

              wrote:

              > ok write code as follows
              >
              > var oMenuBar = new YAHOO.widget.MenuBar("menubar", {
              autosubmenudisplay:true,lazyload:true,clicktohide: false});

              > //some loop
              > var menuitem = document.getElementById("something");
              > oMenuBar.addItem(menuitem );
              > //end loop
              >

              > Java JSON parser available in JSON.org use it and convert XML to
              JSON using ajax call and return it back and use it if you want
              complete menu with sub menu items defined in XML.But its tedious .

              > Keep a .json file instead of .xml file and read it and provide
              JSON format iteself in to the addItems().
              > It reduces all ur XML parsing tasks and all. Also it provides good
              readability.

              > Regards
              > T.Appu
              >

              > yoonfui83 <yoonfui83@...> wrote:
              hi,

              > static menu but while page laoding the js will call the xml and
              write
              > out the menu data list .
              >
              > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Appasamy T <appasamy_t@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi yoon,
              > >
              > > Are u going to use Ajax call to dynamcially update
              the
              > menu on each click or just static menu while page loading from an
              XML
              > located somewhere?
              > >
              > > everthing is possible. Please tell your requirement clearly
              > >

              > > yoonfui83 <yoonfui83@> wrote:
              > hi,
              > >
              > > i am figuring out the menu's data can pump in by using XML
              file ?
              > cause
              > > i need real time updating for my menu.
              > >
              > > currently im using js and hardcoded in my jsp file there . it
              it
              > not
              > > real life and big problem if come to real life update.
              > >

              > > ---------------------------------
              > > SHOUT IT OUT! Tell everyone, from anywhere, that you're online
              on
              > Yahoo! Messenger
              > >

              > ---------------------------------
              > SHOUT IT OUT! Tell everyone, from anywhere, that you're online on
              Yahoo! Messenger

            • alexshusta
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 30, 2007
                Hi yoonfui83,

                JSON == JavaScript Object Notation.

                The file that you load will be a regular JavaScript file with the contents being in JSON format. You'll load the file using a <script> tag, just like any other JavaScript file.

                <script src="yoonfuiMenu.js"></script>

                The documentation at JSON.org is quite good, and they have translations  of many pages into languages besides English (Chinese , Czech, French , German , Japanese , Korean , etc.).

                Your file will end up looking like:

                yoonfuiMenu = {
                    Items:
                [
                        { text:"Yahoo! Mail", url:"http://mail.yahoo.com" },
                { text:"Yahoo! Address Book", url:"http://addressbook.yahoo.com" },
                { text:"Yahoo! Calendar", url:"http://calendar.yahoo.com" },
                { text:"Yahoo! Notepad", url:"http://notepad.yahoo.com" }
                ]
                }

                And you'll make reference to the loaded menu object in your page just like in the YUI menu examples except that where the example had a hard-coded array, you put a reference to your JSON object:
                        <script type="text/javascript">
                YAHOO.example.onDOMReady = function(p_sType) {
                var oMenu = new YAHOO.widget.Menu("basicmenu", { fixedcenter: true });
                oMenu.addItems(yoonfuiMenu.Items);
                oMenu.render(document.body);
                oMenu.showEvent.subscribe(function() {
                this.focus();
                });

                oMenu.show();
                YAHOO.util.Event.addListener("menutoggle", "click", oMenu.show, null, oMenu);
                };
                YAHOO.util.Event.onDOMReady(YAHOO.example.onDOMReady);
                </script>

                Hope that helped.
                ~Alexander