Kinda OFF-TOPIC -> Forum instead of Group

  • Daniel Nunes
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 12, 2007
      Is it just me or is there anyone else that thinks that a Forum would
      be much easier to find/respond messages?

      If it were sub-divided into the modules of the YUI I think it would be
      much more findable/answerable/usable way of dealing with other users
      problems.

      Divisions like:
      -General Problems
      -Commom JavaScript Problems
      -TabView
      -Event
      -DataTable......etc etc.

      Does anyone agree or am I the black duck among the yellows?
    • troyllama
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 12, 2007
        I think of nothing else ;-)

        Seriously tho, I think it every time I have to wade through
        unstructured messages mess rather than follow a sleek forum style.

        Mal.

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Nunes"
        <jaywalker1983@...> wrote:

        > Is it just me or is there anyone else that thinks that a Forum would
        > be much easier to find/respond messages?
        >
        > If it were sub-divided into the modules of the YUI I think it would be
        > much more findable/answerable/usable way of dealing with other users
        > problems.
        >
        > Divisions like:
        > -General Problems
        > -Commom JavaScript Problems
        > -TabView
        > -Event
        > -DataTable......etc etc.
        >
        > Does anyone agree or am I the black duck among the yellows?

      • Jon Herron
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 12, 2007
          Daniel -

            I could see it both ways really.  If I ever need to go find an older message, or search or a certain topic the web front end does pretty well - http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ydn-javascript/ - not saying this is something that people don't know about, but I do find myself there fairly often searching for threads on whatever issue I seem to be having at the moment.

            I think the news group style works well, and has historically served development well.  I do feel that the ydn-javascript group is quite broad in scope, and covers a lot of ground, but then again I can see this both ways.  For one sometimes it is a little hard to track down old threads, since you have to sift through a lot of material.  On the other hand there are a ton of smart people doing some really cool javascripting, and can usually answer any question tossed to the group.  It is also a big bonus that some of the Yahoo employees are answering questions as well.

            I guess it really comes down to preference.  I like the mailing list style, but I am sure some will be in favor of a forum.  I do think its more important that there is one single location for the official information, instead of having a competing forum and news group to check during the day.

          Thanks,

          Jon Herron

          Left Turn Solutions - Home of the Eddy Framework
          http://www.leftturnsolutions.com

          Offical Left Turn Solutions Development Blog
          http://360.yahoo.com/leftturnsolutions

          Is it just me or is there anyone else that thinks that a Forum would
          be much easier to find/respond messages?

          If it were sub-divided into the modules of the YUI I think it would be
          much more findable/answerable /usable way of dealing with other users
          problems.

          Divisions like:
          -General Problems
          -Commom JavaScript Problems
          -TabView
          -Event
          -DataTable.. ....etc etc.

          Does anyone agree or am I the black duck among the yellows?

          Don't pick lemons.
          See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
        • Marcelus Trojahn
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 12, 2007
            Daniel,

            If the forum has a good search engine... Usually they have such a
            poor searchs that it's almost impossible to find what you are
            looking for...

            I rather a mail list... When I see something interesting I just move
            it to some folder and keep it...

            But that's me :D

            --
            Marcelus Trojahn

            -====/=================================-

            > Thursday, April 12, 2007, 1:24:54 PM, voce escreveu:

            > Is it just me or is there anyone else that thinks that a Forum would
            > be much easier to find/respond messages?

            > If it were sub-divided into the modules of the YUI I think it would be
            > much more findable/answerable/usable way of dealing with other users
            > problems.

            > Divisions like:
            > -General Problems
            > -Commom JavaScript Problems
            > -TabView
            > -Event
            > -DataTable......etc etc.

            > Does anyone agree or am I the black duck among the yellows?

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Daniel Nunes
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 13, 2007
              Yeah I thought about the historical reasons too, maybe we could have a
              poll por something like it and see how many people want this.
              JFYF, only 3 persons responded to this 'insight'.

              I do think the mailing list is a good way to find what you need, but a
              well concieved forum, separeted in modules as I said, in my point of
              view, searching would be much faster.

              It would be easier and find a problem you could step into in the
              future with that module since you are browsing at all problems people
              are having with it, in the mailing list this is kind of hard to seek
              through.

              --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Jon Herron
              <leftturnsolutions@...> wrote:

              > Daniel -
              >
              > I could see it both ways really. If I ever need to go find an
              older message, or search or a certain topic the web front end does
              pretty well - http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ydn-javascript/ - not
              saying this is something that people don't know about, but I do find
              myself there fairly often searching for threads on whatever issue I
              seem to be having at the moment.

              > I think the news group style works well, and has historically
              served development well. I do feel that the ydn-javascript group is
              quite broad in scope, and covers a lot of ground, but then again I can
              see this both ways. For one sometimes it is a little hard to track
              down old threads, since you have to sift through a lot of material.
              On the other hand there are a ton of smart people doing some really
              cool javascripting, and can usually answer any question tossed to the
              group. It is also a big bonus that some of the Yahoo employees are
              answering questions as well.

              > I guess it really comes down to preference. I like the mailing
              list style, but I am sure some will be in favor of a forum. I do
              think its more important that there is one single location for the
              official information, instead of having a competing forum and news
              group to check during the day.

              > Thanks,
              >
              > Jon Herron
              >
              > Left Turn Solutions - Home of the Eddy Framework
              > http://www.leftturnsolutions.com
              >
              > Offical Left Turn Solutions Development Blog
              > http://360.yahoo.com/leftturnsolutions

            • Mike Lee (YUI)
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 30, 2007
                It's funny you guys mention this. We're actually exploring alternatives
                to the YUI Forums, one of which are traditional forums/message boards.
                There are pros and cons to mailing lists & message boards, but both,
                along with other alternatives, are all being examined.

                I'd love to hear more about your opinions & suggestions on this too!
                Thanks!

                ________________________________

                Yeah I thought about the historical reasons too, maybe we could have a
                poll por something like it and see how many people want this.
                JFYF, only 3 persons responded to this 'insight'.

                I do think the mailing list is a good way to find what you need, but a
                well concieved forum, separeted in modules as I said, in my point of
                view, searching would be much faster.

                It would be easier and find a problem you could step into in the
                future with that module since you are browsing at all problems people
                are having with it, in the mailing list this is kind of hard to seek
                through.

                --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:ydn-javascript%40yahoogroups.com> , Jon Herron
                <leftturnsolutions@...> wrote:

                > Daniel -
                >
                > I could see it both ways really. If I ever need to go find an
                older message, or search or a certain topic the web front end does
                pretty well - http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ydn-javascript/
                saying this is something that people don't know about, but I do find
                myself there fairly often searching for threads on whatever issue I
                seem to be having at the moment.

                > I think the news group style works well, and has historically
                served development well. I do feel that the ydn-javascript group is
                quite broad in scope, and covers a lot of ground, but then again I can
                see this both ways. For one sometimes it is a little hard to track
                down old threads, since you have to sift through a lot of material.
                On the other hand there are a ton of smart people doing some really
                cool javascripting, and can usually answer any question tossed to the
                group. It is also a big bonus that some of the Yahoo employees are
                answering questions as well.

                > I guess it really comes down to preference. I like the mailing
                list style, but I am sure some will be in favor of a forum. I do
                think its more important that there is one single location for the
                official information, instead of having a competing forum and news
                group to check during the day.

                > Thanks,
                >
                > Jon Herron
                >
                > Left Turn Solutions - Home of the Eddy Framework
                > http://www.leftturnsolutions.com <http://www.leftturnsolutions.com>
                >
                > Offical Left Turn Solutions Development Blog
                > http://360.yahoo.com/leftturnsolutions
                <http://360.yahoo.com/leftturnsolutions>

              • Ted Husted
                Message 7 of 10 , May 1, 2007
                  Nabble is a good solution that you can start using today

                  * http://www.nabble.com/ydn-javascript-f16949.html

                  A project can also make customizations so that it appears like their
                  own forum. Here's an example of an ASF project that uses a basic
                  mailing list, but dresses it up with Nabble.

                  * http://geronimo.apache.org/discussion-forums.html

                  These are not links to a project-hosted forum, but to a page that
                  customizes the look of the Nabble-hosted forums.

                  HTH, Ted.
                • Daniel Nunes
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 19, 2007
                    I would be veeery pleased to have a forum to see the messages. As I
                    said b4, I think it could be much easier to find what you are
                    searching if it was separated in modules like the YUI library:
                    "DataTable","DragN'Drop" and so on....
                    Despite the fact some say that the search engines in forums s*&%, I
                    still think It would be much better.

                    PS: I don't think forums search engines are THAT bad.

                    --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Husted" <groups@...> wrote:

                    > Nabble is a good solution that you can start using today
                    >
                    > * http://www.nabble.com/ydn-javascript-f16949.html
                    >
                    > A project can also make customizations so that it appears like their
                    > own forum. Here's an example of an ASF project that uses a basic
                    > mailing list, but dresses it up with Nabble.
                    >
                    > * http://geronimo.apache.org/discussion-forums.html
                    >
                    > These are not links to a project-hosted forum, but to a page that
                    > customizes the look of the Nabble-hosted forums.
                    >
                    > HTH, Ted.

                  • Fred Janon

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 21, 2007
                        Fred,

                        This is something we're thinking hard about on the YUI side, and we're really interested in the ongoing conversation on this thread.  We haven't found what we regard as a perfect solution to the problem (obviously), but we're listening carefully to the issues everyone is raising and adding your wishlist requests to our own.

                        It's disruptive from a knowledge-archiving perspective and (more importantly) from a community perspective to migrate to a new platform, so we're trying to be careful in our evaluations so that any move only has to happen once.

                        I agree with you that a community of this size has needs that transcend what the current Yahoo! Groups product offers.  More granular searchability and categorization are high on the list of needs.

                        Thanks to everyone who's contributed ideas on this thread already, and for those who have other ideas on this that haven't been voiced yet please jump in.

                        Regards,
                        Eric

                        Eric Miraglia
                        Yahoo! User Interface Library