Re: [ydn-javascript] Applying CSS and YUI for business applications(?)

  • John A. Vieth
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2007
      I'm glad you mentioned hybrid layouts.  I definitely endorse them, and I think people that are anti-table Nazis go a little bit overboard.  In an ideal world, no tables would be necessary except for tabular data.  But this is the *REAL* world, and we have things like the CSS box model bug that throws a wrench in the works.  (Thanks Microsoft!)  So, rather than banning tables, I just try to avoid them, and I do a pretty good job, but I don't rule out using a table for multi-column layouts just to create the column skeleton and then using divs everywhere else.  That can solve two problems: (1) the box model bug and other bugs and (2) table cell heights stretch in unison, whereas floating divs don't know the height of their neighboring divs.  Yes you can dynamically fix the height of these using JavaScript, but that's just as bad of a work-around as tables.  So I do use tables for layout occassionally.  (They're good enough for Word and InDesign, so why not web pages?)  But I try to *MINIMIZE* the use of tables, and I don't rely on attributes like cellpadding, cellspacing, border, width, and bgcolor--I use CSS.  The table is just there for the skeleton.

      Just my two cents.

      - John