Frameset Question

  • comerford_john
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3 6:20 AM
      Hi Folks,

      I am relatively new to web site/application design. I have a fairly
      fundamental question to ask. What are the real disadvantages to using
      framesets ? I am putting together a site which has a basic layout of
      a top title section and fairly static left section and the center
      where the main action happens. I know I could achieve this using YUI
      grid, but that doesn't give me history. I know YUI has a history
      control but it seems to be early days for it and it would seem to me
      to be better to use native support where possible. I was hoping to
      use a mixture of Framesets and Ajax to achieve what I want but I get
      the feeling that using framesets is frowned upon.

      So far the most compelling reasons I can find for not using framesets are:

      1) It appears this would hinder a webcrawler from indexing my site, is
      this true ?

      2) I might need to re-load the YUI library everytime a form is
      submitted (This looks to be the case but I am hoping to find a way
      around it) ?

      If my site was not index by search engines it would be a show stopper
      for me.

      Other than those reasons is there really something 'grass-roots' wrong
      with using framesets ?

      Sorry for sending such a long winded post (or if it is too off topic),

      JC
    • John Comerford
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4 4:47 PM
        Hi Folks,

        I didn't get any replies to this email, fair enough it's not really a YUI question.  That said could anybody recommend

        a) Some futher reading on the issue
        b) A forum where this question would be more appropriate ?

        Thanks,
          JC