Getting the ready state from Connection manager

  • electric_owl_001
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30 5:11 AM

      I'm using Connection Manager an would like to be able to provide a
      visual status indication of progress based on the readyState or
      isCallinProgress values.

      What is the best way of doing this? As a relative newcomer to
      Javascript programming I need some examples to jump start.

      I've seen lots of examples using switch..case or if.. then to monitor
      the readyState value but cannot work out how to achieve a similar
      functionality with Connection Manager. Examples seem to be a bit
      scarce at the moment.

      Many thanks,

      Ian Lewis
      --
    • Eric Miraglia
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 30 8:02 AM
        Ian,

        readyState seems like an obvious choice for a rough progress meter, but unfortunately it turns out not to work very well for that purpose.  There's a great deal of material out there on this topic, but here's an authoritative article from PPK:

        PPK's summary: "In conclusion, no browser correctly supports readyState in all cases."  And that's why we don't ship YUI with a readyState-based progress meter example.  (Moreover, a readyState-based progress bar would not be very granular; readyState 3 would last a long time on a big file, and you get no feedback on the relative progress of the download just from the readyState).

        As a result, true progress implementations tend to involve more than just client-side approaches.

        Perhaps others can jump in here if they know of any great php-based YUI XHR progress implementations?

        Regards,
        Eric

        Eric Miraglia
        Yahoo! User Interface Library

        Hi,

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30 9:26 AM
          Thanks Eric, that has made me less anxious about having some whizzy
          informative 'Please wait..' message.

          I'll just work around it now. All I needed was a simple visual
          indicator to keep my users' fingers off the mouse button whilst
          waiting for the next chunk of content to load.

          Thanks,
          Ian

          > Ian,
          >
          > readyState seems like an obvious choice for a rough progress meter,
          > but unfortunately it turns out not to work very well for that
          > purpose. There's a great deal of material out there on this topic,
          > but here's an authoritative article from PPK:
          >
          > http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2005/09/xmlhttp_notes_r_2.html
          >
          > PPK's summary: "In conclusion, no browser correctly supports
          > readyState in all cases." And that's why we don't ship YUI with a
          > readyState-based progress meter example. (Moreover, a readyState-
          > based progress bar would not be very granular; readyState 3 would
          > last a long time on a big file, and you get no feedback on the
          > relative progress of the download just from the readyState).
          >
          > As a result, true progress implementations tend to involve more than
          > just client-side approaches.
          >
          > Perhaps others can jump in here if they know of any great php-based
          > YUI XHR progress implementations?
          >
          > Regards,
          > Eric

          > Eric Miraglia
          > Yahoo! User Interface Library
          >

          > On Mar 30, 2007, at 5:14 AM, electric_owl_001 wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I'm using Connection Manager an would like to be able to provide a
          > > visual status indication of progress based on the readyState or
          > > isCallinProgress values.
          > >
          > > What is the best way of doing this? As a relative newcomer to
          > > Javascript programming I need some examples to jump start.
          > >
          > > I've seen lots of examples using switch..case or if.. then to monitor
          > > the readyState value but cannot work out how to achieve a similar
          > > functionality with Connection Manager. Examples seem to be a bit
          > > scarce at the moment.
          > >
          > > Many thanks,
          > >
          > > Ian Lewis
          > > --

        • tssha
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 30 10:00 AM
            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "electric_owl_001"
            <electric_owl_001@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Eric, that has made me less anxious about having some whizzy
            > informative 'Please wait..' message.
            >
            > I'll just work around it now. All I needed was a simple visual
            > indicator to keep my users' fingers off the mouse button whilst
            > waiting for the next chunk of content to load.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Ian

            Having access to all readyState value does not provide the vital data
            necessary to achieve a reliable progress indicator -- the HTTP
            content-length and content-range. With IE6 and 7, these headers are
            inaccessible(as of msxml.dll version 2.5 and later) at readyState 2
            and during readyState 3.

            Solutions do exist, but require additional development in the
            application stack.

            Regards,
            Thomas
          • rjy7
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
              Eric,

              I'm trying to do the same thing as Ian: I don't need anything as
              sophisticated as a progress meter, just an activity indicator to show that
              something is happening while the user waits for the new content to load. I
              display the animated gif right after make the call to
              YAHOO.util.Connect.asyncRequest, and then have the responseText fade in,
              replacing the animated gif in the same div. What happens is that there is a
              significant delay between the time the gif stops displaying and when the
              responseText appears, so the div is still empty for a noticeable period of
              time. Any idea of how I might fix this?

              Thanks for any help you can give.

              Rebecca Younes

              Eric Miraglia wrote:

              > Ian,
              >
              > readyState seems like an obvious choice for a rough progress meter,
              > but unfortunately it turns out not to work very well for that
              > purpose. There's a great deal of material out there on this topic,
              > but here's an authoritative article from PPK:
              >
              > http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2005/09/xmlhttp_notes_r_2.html
              >
              > PPK's summary: "In conclusion, no browser correctly supports
              > readyState in all cases." And that's why we don't ship YUI with a
              > readyState-based progress meter example. (Moreover, a readyState-
              > based progress bar would not be very granular; readyState 3 would
              > last a long time on a big file, and you get no feedback on the
              > relative progress of the download just from the readyState).
              >
              > As a result, true progress implementations tend to involve more than
              > just client-side approaches.
              >
              > Perhaps others can jump in here if they know of any great php-based
              > YUI XHR progress implementations?
              >
              > Regards,
              > Eric

              > Eric Miraglia
              > Yahoo! User Interface Library
              >

              > On Mar 30, 2007, at 5:14 AM, electric_owl_001 wrote:
              >
              >> Hi,
              >>
              >> I'm using Connection Manager an would like to be able to provide a
              >> visual status indication of progress based on the readyState or
              >> isCallinProgress values.
              >>
              >> What is the best way of doing this? As a relative newcomer to
              >> Javascript programming I need some examples to jump start.
              >>
              >> I've seen lots of examples using switch..case or if.. then to monitor
              >> the readyState value but cannot work out how to achieve a similar
              >> functionality with Connection Manager. Examples seem to be a bit
              >> scarce at the moment.
              >>
              >> Many thanks,
              >>
              >> Ian Lewis
              >> --

            • Marcelus Trojahn
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
                Rebecca,

                I do the same and I have the same problem... I might be wrong but I think that delay is actually the time the browser takes to render the new content... So, I don't really think there's a solution to this... Hopefully someone can correct me...

                Marcelus Trojahn

                Eric Miraglia wrote:

                > Ian,
                >
                > readyState seems like an obvious choice for a rough progress meter,
                > but unfortunately it turns out not to work very well for that
                > purpose. There's a great deal of material out there on this topic,
                > but here's an authoritative article from PPK:
                >
                > http://www.quirksmo de.org/blog/ archives/ 2005/09/xmlhttp_ notes_r_2. html
                >
                > PPK's summary: "In conclusion, no browser correctly supports
                > readyState in all cases." And that's why we don't ship YUI with a
                > readyState-based progress meter example. (Moreover, a readyState-
                > based progress bar would not be very granular; readyState 3 would
                > last a long time on a big file, and you get no feedback on the
                > relative progress of the download just from the readyState).
                >
                > As a
                result, true progress implementations tend to involve more than
                > just client-side approaches.
                >
                > Perhaps others can jump in here if they know of any great php-based
                > YUI XHR progress implementations?
                >
                > Regards,
                > Eric
                >

                > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _______
                > Eric Miraglia
                > Yahoo! User Interface Library
                >

                > On Mar 30, 2007, at 5:14 AM, electric_owl_ 001 wrote:
                >
                >> Hi,
                >>
                >> I'm using Connection Manager an would like to be able to provide a
                >> visual status indication of progress based on the readyState or
                >> isCallinProgress values.
                >>
                >> What is the best way of doing this? As a relative newcomer to
                >> Javascript programming I need some examples to jump start.
                >>
                >> I've seen lots of examples using
                switch..case or if.. then to monitor
                >> the readyState value but cannot work out how to achieve a similar
                >> functionality with Connection Manager. Examples seem to be a bit
                >> scarce at the moment.
                >>
                >> Many thanks,
                >>
                >> Ian Lewis
                >> --