Re: [ydn-javascript] IE Error Alert

  • Eric Miraglia
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 29, 2007
      Chaluwa,

      There are a few things that can cause the message you're seeing.  The most common issue involves instantiating a Ul control prior to the DOM being completely loaded.  Without a URL or any more information about what's on your page, that's about all I can tell you.  Consider moving the instantiation of any UI controls (Panel, Menu, etc.) to the window load event and see if that solves your problem.

      Regards,
      Eric

      Eric Miraglia
      Yahoo! User Interface Library

      On Mar 29, 2007, at 6:32 PM, chaluwa wrote:

      Please, I really need help getting rid of an error alert that always
      and only pops-up in Internet Explorer.
      It usually says something like "Sorry Internet Explorer cannot display
      this page". I do not get this message in Netscape or Firefox but since
      majority of the viewers of my site (a university in Nigeria) use
      Internet Explorer, I have no choice than to seek help in fixing the
      problem.
      Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
      Thanks

    • Sunil Srinivasan
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 29, 2007
        See this -

        http://techflock.blogspot.com/2007/03/internet-explorer-operation-aborted.html

        Hope that helps!

        On 3/30/07, chaluwa <chaluwa@...> wrote:
        Please, I really need help getting rid of an error alert that always
        and only pops-up in Internet Explorer.
        It usually says something like "Sorry Internet Explorer cannot display
        this page". I do not get this message in Netscape or Firefox but since
        majority of the viewers of my site (a university in Nigeria) use
        Internet Explorer, I have no choice than to seek help in fixing the
        problem.
        Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
        Thanks

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:ydn-javascript-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto: ydn-javascript-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Sunil
      • Eric Miraglia
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30, 2007
          Sunil (and everyone interested in this problem):

          Adam Moore on the YUI team has studied this problem and believes it's more nuanced than the article cited below suggests.  Here is Adam's summary:

          The problem is that it is not safe to append new elements to the DOM while IE is rendering certain content.  Complexity of the content being rendered appears to be a factor (most often seen while rendering tables), but there isn't a formula to know if it will fail or not.  The same content could render successfully if the DOM insertion happens just before or just after the moment it causes the error.  Since timing matters, it is possible to get a page that would load correctly first, and then fail when the page is refreshed, but I believe that is simply because the timing is different.

          We will incorporate changes in the YUI Event Utility in a future release that will help to mitigate this issue.  For now, deferring some operations (that insert new content in the DOM) to the window load event may resolve some occurrences;  we've also found that inserting new content at the top of the DOM rather than appending it to the DOM can help.

          There may be more than one browser bug at issue here, but this is the one that we've been tracking.  If anyone believes s/he has a small, reliable reproduction case involving a YUI component, we'd love to see it.

          On 3/30/07, chaluwa <chaluwa@yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]

        • chaluwa
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4 5:03 PM

            > Chaluwa,
            >
            > There are a few things that can cause the message you're seeing. The
            > most common issue involves instantiating a Ul control prior to the
            > DOM being completely loaded. Without a URL or any more information
            > about what's on your page, that's about all I can tell you. Consider
            > moving the instantiation of any UI controls (Panel, Menu, etc.) to
            > the window load event and see if that solves your problem.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Eric

            > Eric Miraglia
            > Yahoo! User Interface Library
            >

            > On Mar 29, 2007, at 6:32 PM, chaluwa wrote:
            >
            > > Please, I really need help getting rid of an error alert that always
            > > and only pops-up in Internet Explorer.
            > > It usually says something like "Sorry Internet Explorer cannot display
            > > this page". I do not get this message in Netscape or Firefox but since
            > > majority of the viewers of my site (a university in Nigeria) use
            > > Internet Explorer, I have no choice than to seek help in fixing the
            > > problem.
            > > Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
            > > Thanks

            Thanks Eric,
            I've started work on your proposed solution, but in the mean time
            here's my site's url:
            http://www.uniben.edu/
            Thanks again.
          • randyh0316
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 5 7:25 PM

              > Adam Moore on the YUI team has studied this problem and believes it's
              > more nuanced than the article cited below suggests.  Here is Adam's
              > summary:
              >
              > The problem is that it is not safe to append new elements to the DOM
              > while IE is rendering certain content.  Complexity of the content

              Microsoft has an article on this topic, and my tests have shown that it's certainly not as simple as *they're* making out, either. Their example only covers inline cases of <script>...appendChild()...</script> and innerHTML(), not deferred-execution cases, such as what we can get when we use YAHOO.util.Event.onContentReady() to create a "loading" Panel.

              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927917/en-us

              To paraphrase, they want you to only add DOM children of the block "currently active" when the script is executed.  For some definition of "currently active".  Since they represent it as a bug in the parser, I'm assuming that "currently active" has to do with the parse-context, not the script location as they suggest.

              So if execution happens while other HTML is being parsed, this problem would occur.  It should be straightforward to implement a cgi script that demonstrates it.  It would need to:

               - emit an onContentReady() script as part of an html document.
               - emit the dependent element along with a <div>
               - flush content to the browser
               - sleep for 2 seconds

              ...and I did so.  Sure enough, it barfs big-time in IE.  Script pasted below...

              #!/usr/local/bin/perl -w
              use warnings;
              use strict;
              $| = 1;

              print <<EOD;

              <head>
                  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.2.0/build/container/assets/container.css">
                  <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.2.0/build/logger/assets/logger.css">

                  <script type="text/javascript" src="http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.2.0/build/yahoo/yahoo-min.js"></script>
                  <script type="text/javascript" src="http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.2.0/build/event/event-min.js"></script>
                  <script type="text/javascript" src="http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.2.0/build/animation/animation-min.js"></script>
                  <script type="text/javascript" src="http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.2.0/build/dom/dom-min.js"></script>

                  <script type="text/javascript" src="http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.2.0/build/connection/connection-min.js"></script>
                  <script type="text/javascript" src="http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.2.0/build/container/container-min.js"></script>
                  <script type="text/javascript" src="http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.2.0/build/logger/logger-min.js"></script>
                  <script type="text/javascript" src="http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.2.0/build/dragdrop/dragdrop-min.js"></script>

              <script>
                  var p_loading = new YAHOO.widget.Panel("wait",
                      {
                          width:"350px",
                          height:"240px",
                          fixedcenter:true,
                          close:true,
                          draggable:true,
                          modal:false,
                          visible:false,
                          effect:{effect:YAHOO.widget.ContainerEffect.FADE, duration:0.5},
                          zIndex:150
                      }
                  );

                  p_loading.setHeader("Loading...");
                  p_loading.setBody('Generating your report');

                     YAHOO.util.Event.onContentReady( 'config', function() {
                          if( ! p_loading.loaded ) {
                              // debugger;
                              p_loading.cfg.setProperty('modal', true );
                              p_loading.render('config');
                              p_loading.timeout = setTimeout( function() { p_loading.show(); p_loading.timeout=false; }, 200 );
                          }
                      } );
              </script>
              EOD

              sleep 1;
              print "</div></html>\n";

            • misterilla
              Message 6 of 7 , May 18, 2007
                i had the same problems with contextmenus.

                i have a simple solution for this...

                just add your javascripts after the </body> tag. this solved all my
                problems.