Re: [ydn-javascript] Autocomplete Speed

  • Eric Miraglia
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2007
      Adam,

      A couple of things affect the speed of the AutoComplete example you reference, which I gather is this one:

      1.  Debugging/logging:  Because Jenny is loading the Logger Control and the -debug version of script files, performance degrades significantly.  If you load the same example with the -min version of AutoComplete and no Logger display, you'll see an impact immediately.  This especially affects the issue you're describing with respect to mousing over the suggestion list, a process that fires lots of logged events in that example.

      2.  Animation: The enabling of animation on the suggestion drawer contributes to the perceived latency on the initial display of the container.

      By contrast, try the implementation of AutoComplete on our API page:

      That's another in-memory example, and one with a pretty big data set -- very responsive in my browser.  Do you see that as well?

      Regards,
      Eric

      Eric Miraglia
      Yahoo! User Interface Library

      On Mar 29, 2007, at 2:30 PM, Adam wrote:

      Whenever I arrow up/down or mouse over the results that come up for a
      search, it seems like it is very slow at doing this. Is there a way
      this can be made faster? I have looked at other autocomplete programs
      on other websites and they do not exhibit this behavior. That is-
      when moving your mouse over the results and/or arrowing through them
      it is very slow and delayed compared to other autocomplete programs.

      I have tried this with the in-memory example of loading the data so it
      I don't think it is a latency issue.

      Has anyone else noticed this?

      Thanks.

    • Adam
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 30, 2007
        Yes, that example is much faster. Thank you, that is the information
        I am looking for.