Will Yahoo release the Yahoo Mail Compose script as part of YUI?

  • mvboeke
    Message 1 of 8 , May 10, 2006
      There is a desperate need for a stable, web-based, rich text editor. I
      have used several opensource and licensed editors in my web
      application (Editlet, FCKEdit, TinyMCE), but they are a constant
      source of user complaints.

      The best editors I have seen are in Yahoo Mail and GMail. They seem to
      be more stable than other solutions, becuase they have a more limited
      feature set.

      Are there any plans for Yahoo to release their Mail Compose editor as
      part of the YUI package?
    • Eric Miraglia
      Message 2 of 8 , May 10, 2006
        mvboeke,

        We share your frustration at the lack of a fully functional, fully cross-platform Rich Text Editor.  We don't have any immediate plans to release an RTE as part of the YUI Library, so the best advice we can give you right now is to choose the best of the existing options -- whatever that happens to be for your implementation.

        You can rest assured, though, that we're looking closely at the options available to us, and when we think we have something that we can support across the A-Grade browsers we'll include it as part of the package.

        Regards,
        Eric

        On May 10, 2006, at 8:43 AM, mvboeke wrote:

        There is a desperate need for a stable, web-based, rich text editor. I
        have used several opensource and licensed editors in my web
        application (Editlet, FCKEdit, TinyMCE), but they are a constant
        source of user complaints.

        The best editors I have seen are in Yahoo Mail and GMail. They seem to
        be more stable than other solutions, becuase they have a more limited
        feature set.

        Are there any plans for Yahoo to release their Mail Compose editor as
        part of the YUI package?

      • Charles
        Message 3 of 8 , May 12, 2006

          I have used several opensource and licensed editors in my web application (Editlet, FCKEdit, TinyMCE), but they are a constant source of user complaints. The best editors I have seen are in Yahoo Mail and GMail. They seem to be more stable than other solutions, becuase they have a more limited feature set.

          With TinyMCE (and possibly the others), you can easily limit the feature set. Directions on how to do that are here.

          — Charles

          Message 4 of 8 , May 23, 2006
            Eric,

            Thank you for responding to my post, but I am a little confused because there is a pretty good editor embedded in Yahoo Mail. It would seem that you have a "fully functional, fully cross-platform Rich Text Editor" right in your own backyard. Also, I just noticed the link above to the "Rich Text Editor Beta" on this message board, which I am using to compose this message (
            check out my rich text).

            Are several teams working on creating the same functionality at Yahoo? Is Yahoo keeping this tasty bit of UI goodness proprietary? Am I missing an important piece of the picture?

            Regards,

            Michael

            > mvboeke,
            >
            > We share your frustration at the lack of a fully functional, fully
            > cross-platform Rich Text Editor. We don't have any immediate plans
            > to release an RTE as part of the YUI Library, so the best advice we
            > can give you right now is to choose the best of the existing options
            > -- whatever that happens to be for your implementation.
            >
            > You can rest assured, though, that we're looking closely at the
            > options available to us, and when we think we have something that we
            > can support across the A-Grade browsers we'll include it as part of
            > the package.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Eric
            >

            > On May 10, 2006, at 8:43 AM, mvboeke wrote:
            >
            > > There is a desperate need for a stable, web-based, rich text editor. I
            > > have used several opensource and licensed editors in my web
            > > application (Editlet, FCKEdit, TinyMCE), but they are a constant
            > > source of user complaints.
            > >
            > > The best editors I have seen are in Yahoo Mail and GMail. They seem to
            > > be more stable than other solutions, becuase they have a more limited
            > > feature set.
            > >
            > > Are there any plans for Yahoo to release their Mail Compose editor as
            > > part of the YUI package?

            > > ~-->
            > > Get to your groups with one click. Know instantly when new email
            > > arrives
            > > http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/edFolB/TM

          • Eric Miraglia
            Message 5 of 8 , May 23, 2006
              Michael,

              Yahoo has implemented several RTEs, including as you say the one in Mail — which is excellent.  When we talk about the YUI Library, though, we're talking about an initiative that's committed to cross-platform support and support across the A-Grade browsers.  If you try using any of the existing Yahoo RTEs in Safari or Opera, you'll find that none of those current implementations meets the YUI browser-support criteria.

              So at present the answer is no, we don't have any plans to package, document and release the Mail RTE as part of YUI.  As I said in my previous note, though, we believe this is an important, worthwhile are of inquiry.  We'd like to add RTE to YUI when we feel we can do so while supporting all of the A-Grade browsers.

              Regards,
              Eric

              On May 23, 2006, at 8:11 AM, mvboeke wrote:

              Eric,

              Thank you for responding to my post, but I am a little confused because there is a pretty good editor embedded in Yahoo Mail. It would seem that you have a "fully functional, fully cross-platform Rich Text Editor" right in your own backyard. Also, I just noticed the link above to the "Rich Text Editor Beta" on this message board, which I am using to compose this message (
              check out my rich text).

              Are several teams working on creating the same functionality at Yahoo? Is Yahoo keeping this tasty bit of UI goodness proprietary? Am I missing an important piece of the picture?

              Regards,

              Michael

              > mvboeke,
              >
              > We share your frustration at the lack of a fully functional, fully
              > cross-platform Rich Text Editor. We don't ha! ve any immediate plans
              > to release an RTE as part of the YUI Library, so the best advice we
              > can give you right now is to choose the best of the existing options
              > -- whatever that happens to be for your implementation.
              >
              > You can rest assured, though, that we're looking closely at the
              > options available to us, and when we think we have something that we
              > can support across the A-Grade browsers we'll include it as part of
              > the package.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Eric
              >

              > On May 10, 2006, at 8:43 AM, mvboeke wrote:
              >
              > > There is a desperate need for a stable, web-based, rich text editor. I
              > > have used several opensource and licensed editors in my web
              > > application (Editlet, FCKEdit, TinyMCE), but they are a constant
              > > source of user complaints.
              > >
              > > The best editors I have seen are in Yahoo Ma! il and GMail. They seem to
              > > be more stable than other solu tions, becuase they have a more limited
              > > feature set.
              > >
              > > Are there any plans for Yahoo to release their Mail Compose editor as
              > > part of the YUI package?

              > > ~-->
              > > Get to your groups with one click. Know instantly when new email
              > > arrives
              > > http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/edFolB/TM

              C programming language Computer programming languages Java programming language
              The c programming language C programming language Concept of programming language

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            • Ron Lancaster
              Message 6 of 8 , May 23, 2006
                Is there the possibility of releasing one of these controls as an "incubator"
                project so that it does not have to meet the stringent requirements of
                cross-browser support, but gives the community the opportunity to use it on
                the browsers that are supported?

                Alternatively, can one of the Yahoo controls be offered "as is" under a
                reasonable use license?

                Sincerely,
                Ron Lancaster

                On Tuesday 23 May 2006 11:05, Eric Miraglia wrote:
                > Michael,
                >
                > Yahoo has implemented several RTEs, including as you say the one in
                > Mail — which is excellent. When we talk about the YUI Library,
                > though, we're talking about an initiative that's committed to cross-
                > platform support and support across the A-Grade browsers. If you try
                > using any of the existing Yahoo RTEs in Safari or Opera, you'll find
                > that none of those current implementations meets the YUI browser-
                > support criteria.
                >
                > So at present the answer is no, we don't have any plans to package,
                > document and release the Mail RTE as part of YUI. As I said in my
                > previous note, though, we believe this is an important, worthwhile
                > are of inquiry. We'd like to add RTE to YUI when we feel we can do
                > so while supporting all of the A-Grade browsers.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Eric

              • Eric Miraglia
                Message 7 of 8 , May 23, 2006
                  Ron,

                  I hear you; there's a real need for a super-robust RTE solution, and we want one, too.  At present we're focused on solutions that provide support throughout the A-Grade browser spectrum.  There are other solutions out there that provide support for IE and FF; TinyMCE supports Opera and Safari (experimental), too.  Given that there are existing open-source options for IE/FF support, we're going to focus our energy for the moment on finding a solution we feel good about including as part of the YUI Library, and that means something that performs well across the A grade.

                  Regards,
                  Eric

                  On May 23, 2006, at 1:09 PM, Ron Lancaster wrote:

[...]

                  You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free.  See how.

                • mattesid
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 25, 2006
                    Eric

                    So much of these RTE discussions were a few months back, and now I see
                    a RIch text editor now in these forums. Is this the Roth editor? What
                    is its cross platform capability? Is it discussed in detail anywhere?
                    I can't find it.