Re: [ydn-javascript] how can I interrupt a YAHOO.util.Scroll page scroll

  • Matt Sweeney
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8, 2006
      Hi Rahul,

      You can listen for the window scroll event and call stop() on your animation instance to achieve this behavior.

      Matt

      rjgfx wrote:
      Hi folks,

      (I'm a first-time poster on this forum.  Thanks to all who have contributed so far--I've found answers to past problems quite easily!)

      Using the method demonstrated by Matt Sweeney (in this thread) for scrolling an entire web page,  I've run up against a little usability problem.

      If a page is auto-scrolling down, and a user attempts to grab the scrollbar and scroll up (while the scroll script is still running), a battle ensues between the script and the user resulting in a very jagged scroll.  The user is unable to scroll manually until the page has reached it's final position as dictated by the script.

      Any suggestions on how to  interrupt the script when a user tries to manually scroll a page during an auto-scroll?

      Thank you,

      Rahul G.

    • rjgfx
      Message 2 of 5 , May 9, 2006
        Matt, thank you for the reply.

        I've been trying to make this work, and have had no success. I'm
        currently testing with this:

        <script>
        function scrollPage(){
        var mode = document.compatMode; // Standards or Quirks mode? (or
        null)
        var body = document.body; // Safari and IE/OP/Gecko quirks mode

        if (mode && mode.indexOf('CSS') != -1) {
        body = document.documentElement; // IE/OP/Gecko standards mode
        }
        var anim = new YAHOO.util.Scroll(body, { scroll: { to: [0, 200] } },
        3, YAHOO.util.Easing.easeNone);

        YAHOO.util.Event.addListener(body, "scroll", stopScroll, anim);
        anim.animate();
        }

        function stopScroll(animationToStop){
        animationToStop.stop();
        return;
        }
        </script>

        Any ideas beyond this? I feel like I'm missing something fundamental,
        because for the amount of time I've spent trying to figure it out I
        should have had something by now! ;)

        I've tossed an alert into "stopScroll" function and right now it doesn't
        seem to be getting called at all. Is "scroll" the wrong event to listen
        for?

        Thanks, all.

        Rahul

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Matt Sweeney <msweeney@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Rahul,
        >
        > You can listen for the window scroll event and call stop() on your
        > animation instance to achieve this behavior.
        >
        > Matt
        >
        > rjgfx wrote:
        >
        > > Hi folks,
        > >
        > > (I'm a first-time poster on this forum. Thanks to all who have
        > > contributed so far--I've found answers to past problems quite
        easily!)

        > > Using the method demonstrated by Matt Sweeney (in this thread
        > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ydn-javascript/message/613>) for
        > > scrolling an entire web page, I've run up against a little
        usability
        > > problem.
        > >
        > > If a page is auto-scrolling down, and a user attempts to grab the
        > > scrollbar and scroll up (while the scroll script is still running),
        > > battle ensues between the script and the user resulting in a very
        > > jagged scroll. The user is unable to scroll manually until the page
        > > has reached it's final position as dictated by the script.
        > >
        > > Any suggestions on how to interrupt the script when a user tries to
        > > manually scroll a page during an auto-scroll?
        > >
        > > Thank you,
        > >
        > > Rahul G.

        > > C programming language

        ming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+lang\
        uage&w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concep\
        t+of+programming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=lC1PxfzvANy_Br-nPkXYTA>
        > > Computer programming languages

        +programming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programm\
        ing+language&w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w\
        6=Concept+of+programming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=7XFXh-0Mon1IfLuOVlwvdg>
        > > Java programming language

        ramming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+l\
        anguage&w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Con\
        cept+of+programming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=UITodqn0qTCUcae_mpRQog>

        > > The c programming language

        gramming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+\
        language&w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Co\
        ncept+of+programming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=xnZC2-BzDSLhhir3MLtssg>
        > > C programming language

        amming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+la\
        nguage&w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Conc\
        ept+of+programming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=RTzTl3BOJWbWK14CdUrO0w>
        > > Concept of programming language

        C+programming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+program\
        ming+language&w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&\
        w6=Concept+of+programming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=x4ueM0tA417JDq3ckdJ9CQ\

      • Matt Sweeney
        Message 3 of 5 , May 9, 2006
          Hi Rahul,

          My apologies, I should have given this some more thought before replying.

          Yes, "Scroll" is the correct event to listen for, however you should listen for it on the window itself.  Also,  in your example, "animationToStop" actually comes in as the 2nd arg (event is the first arg).

          However, even when set up correctly, this will not yield the desired behavior.  Animating the "body" scroll fires off a scroll event, so the animation will cancel itself after a single frame. I see no obvious solution to make this approach work, short of trying to poke at the event itself and see if there is a way to determine whether it was initiated by the animation or by user scroll.

          There may be a "creative" way around this problem, though.  For example, if you know what direction the animation is scrolling, onTween you could check whether its actually going in the desired direction, and if not, you can assume the user has done something to change the scroll value midstream.

          This is just a proof of concept, but I got it working with something like this:

          function scrollPage(){
             var mode = document.compatMode; // Standards or Quirks mode? (or null)
             var body = document.body; // Safari and IE/OP/Gecko quirks mode

             if (mode && mode.indexOf('CSS') != -1) {
                body = document.documentElement; // IE/OP/Gecko standards mode
             }

             var scrollTo = 200;

             var anim = new YAHOO.util.Scroll(body, { scroll: { to: [0, scrollTo] } }, 3, YAHOO.util.Easing.easeNone);
             var lastScrollTopValue = body.scrollTop;

             var direction = null;

             anim.onStart.subscribe(
                function() {
                   if (this.getEl().scrollTop < scrollTo) {
                      direction = 'down';
                   } else {
                      direction = 'up';
             );

             anim.onTween.subscribe(
                function() {
                   if (direction == 'up' && this.getEl().scrollTop > lastScrollTopValue) {
                      this.stop();
                   } else if (direction == 'down' && this.getEl().scrollTop < lastScrollTopValue) {
                      this.stop();
                   }

                   lastScrollTopValue = this.getEl().scrollTop;
                }
             );

             anim.animate();
          }

          Matt

          rjgfx wrote:

[...]

              *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/edFolB/TM

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • rjgfx
          Message 4 of 5 , May 11, 2006
            Hey Matt, thanks a bunch for this help.

            I actually had event as the first argument, but then my alert message
            would pop-up constantly, but the animation still wouldn't stop--so
            what I posted was a later iteration. Weird.

            Anyway, I've added this to my code, and it's working just fine. I'm
            going to try now to stop the scroll as soon as a user clicks on the
            scroll bar. I have a feeling there won't be a simple way to do that
            either. If I can't get that, though, this is really helps and is
            definitely useful.

            If I figure out a way to stop the scroll on a click to the toolbar,
            I'll be sure to post.

            (and congrats to you and your team on the .1 launch. Looks like great
            stuff)

            Rahul G.
            Omaha, NE