Re: connection manager

  • kmcoleoz
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2006
      Philip,

      > > I believe that I read the IE <= 6 is restricted to 2 concurrent
      > > XMLHttpRequest calls at a time.
      >
      > It's not exactly IE <= 6, it's the HTTP specification that suggests
      that
      > no more than 2 concurrent persistent connections be open to the same
      web
      > server. See section 8.1.4 of RFC 2616:
      > http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec8.html#sec8.1.4
      >
      > This isn't restricted to XHR requests, but all requests.

      Cool, thanks for the specific reference. This then makes my wish for
      an array of objects managed by connection manager even more viable,
      IMHO.

      Ken
    • Alex Russell
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2006
        On Monday 01 May 2006 11:30 pm, kmcoleoz wrote:
        > Philip,
        >
        > > > I believe that I read the IE <= 6 is restricted to 2 concurrent
        > > > XMLHttpRequest calls at a time.
        > >
        > > It's not exactly IE <= 6, it's the HTTP specification that suggests
        > > that
        > > no more than 2 concurrent persistent connections be open to the
        > > same web server. See section 8.1.4 of RFC 2616:
        > > http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec8.html#sec8.1.4
        > >
        > > This isn't restricted to XHR requests, but all requests.

        This relates specifically to HTTP 1.1 connections. IE bumps the limit to
        4 connections when dealing with HTTP 1.0 and Mozilla always has a
        "soft" limit of 2 with a hard limit of 4 where 2 of the connections are
        allocated to a pool of longer-running requests and 2 are for "normal"
        request dispatch.

        > Cool, thanks for the specific reference. This then makes my wish for
        > an array of objects managed by connection manager even more viable,
        > IMHO.

        Why? The network stack is going to manage this stuff better than you'll
        be able to, unless the goal is to be able to garuntee return order.
        Writing this kind of abstraction on top of the async primitives is very
        straightforward in a language (like JS) that supports closures. Dojo's
        dojo.io.queueBind() is less than 50 lines.

        Regards

        --
        Alex Russell
        alex@...
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2006
          Alex,

          > This relates specifically to HTTP 1.1 connections. IE bumps the
          limit to
          > 4 connections when dealing with HTTP 1.0 and Mozilla always has a
          > "soft" limit of 2 with a hard limit of 4 where 2 of the
          connections are
          > allocated to a pool of longer-running requests and 2 are
          for "normal"
          > request dispatch.

          Good to know, thanks.

          > Why? The network stack is going to manage this stuff better than
          you'll
          > be able to

          so a properly defined network stack controls these limitations?

          > unless the goal is to be able to garuntee return order.

          not really, nut that could be a side benefit.

          > Writing this kind of abstraction on top of the async primitives is
          very
          > straightforward in a language (like JS) that supports closures.
          Dojo's
          > dojo.io.queueBind() is less than 50 lines.

          Thanks for the heads up on this, I will check it out.

          Ken