Re: [ydn-javascript] toggling

  • Matt Sweeney
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2006
      Hi Tom,

      It really depends on your use case. Sometimes its easier to use
      seperate animation instances for either direction.

      However, when you have a large number of potential animations, its
      probably better to try and keep this to a single instance, and set the
      attributes dynamically before calling animate().

      Matt

      tomjnsn wrote:

      >I am wondering if there is a best practice for toggling using the Anim
      >stuff? Should I create an object for both directions? Register a
      >subscriber for the onComplete event that essentially swaps the to and
      >from vals?
      >
      >Just for clarification: when I say toggling I mean having the ability
      >to call a method that will go in both directions like highlighting
      >something when it is clicked on, but then removing the highlight when
      >it is clicked on again.
      >
      >Thanks,
      >
      >Tom
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Tom Jensen
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2006
        Thanks Matt for responding. I was thinking along
        those lines, but I guess I was wondering at a lower
        level, should I be creating multiple Anim objects, one
        for the highlight and one for the unhighlight, or just
        use the same one and reset the to: and from:
        attributes depending on the state property. Does that
        make sense?

        Thanks,

        Tom

        --- "Gatten, Matt" <Matt.Gatten@...> wrote:

        > Why not just create one object that contains an off
        > and on state property and just do the opposite of
        > whatever it is? Give it a 'toggle' method that does
        > it. That's how I do it.
        >
        > Matt I

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Gatten, Matt
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2006
          Hi Tom,

          Yeah, I understand what you want to do. I would make two methods in the
          object. One is the animation from state 1 to state 2. Then the second
          method to animate from state 2 back to state 1.

          Somewhere in the object. Name a property 'toggle' or 'toggled' and
          maybe it holds a value of yes/no, true/false, 1/0.

          Make a listener for the element for 'click' or 'dblclick'. Switch
          statement in the object reads 'this.toggled' to see if it's 'on/off' and
          have a simple case statement to handle the toggling.

          Switch(this.toggled){
          Case 'on': //animate to the off state

          Case 'off': //animate to the on state

          }

          Hope that helps. :) I love this stuff but stay mainly quiet. Looks
          like lots of foreign folks on there wanting someone to write code for
          them. haha

          Give me a yell some time. I'm always working on something.

          Matt Gatten
          Software Engineer - Request Systems
          314-512-4083

          http://mail.yahoo.com