RE: [ydn-javascript] Grids page widths

  • Nate Koechley
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 14, 2007
      Hey Duncan,

      > you will get extremely long lines at smaller text
      > sizes because the layout won't shrink -- and long
      > lines affect readability too

      True, though I personally consider the "larger fonts" case more important
      than the "small-font" case. One could argue that although the ability to
      shrink fonts is a nicity, the ability to increase them is a priority
      accessibility accomodation. Still, your point is valid and I'll see what I
      can do in future versions.

      > This locks the overall layout width, but columns move around
      > because they're still defined with ems.

      That's a very good point. Please log that as a feature request on
      Sourceforge and I'll work to fix it for the next release.

      > Was the gutter size determined by trial and error or in a more
      > deterministic way?

      They're set at 1em in most cases (via the delta between margin-left and
      width of the two .yui-b's). In response to repeated requests I hope to add
      more sophistication to gutter management in the next release.

      Thanks for using Grids, and for all your feedback.

      Thanks,
      Nate