Re: [ydn-javascript] Re: Hard to describe problem

  • Brian Jackson
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2007
      There's a div on top of the image that you can drag around. When you drag the div around it's supposed to reposition it's background so that the background lines up with the image that it's on top of. That part works. It just seems to take a few milliseconds too long to update that background in firefox.

      You should be able to just drag the box around on top of the image and see what I'm talking about. It should be fluid movement, but it's not.

      --Brian Jackson

      On Mar 1, 2007, at 9:39 PM, randomjuju wrote:

      Hey.

      I just poked at this a bit, but I don't think I really understand the
      problem. What do you mean by "do" the background image? And which
      div are you talking about in the second half of your post? And what
      do you mean by "catches?"

      Sorry -- I don't mean to be nit-picking, but I'm also not sure what
      behavior to look for.

      Thanks!

      -Jon

      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Brian Jackson <iggy@...> wrote:

      > I'm having an issue with Firefox redrawing a div's background issue.
      > It works fine in Safari. It's really hard to describe the problem.
      > Best to just take a look. The non-greyed out box can be dragged
      > around. When you do the background image of the div (which is the
      > same as the main image) "catches" when you move the div around.
      > Anybody ever see anything like this? Got any ideas what to try?
      >
      > http://enpointe.iomnis.com/crop/index.html

    • Nicolas Doye
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2007
        Works fine here in Firefox 2.0 on Windows XP. Which version are you checking?

        nic

        --
        http://worldofnic.org
      • Brian Jackson
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2007
          I've tried Firefox on Linux and OSX. Both show the problem. Safari works fine. Haven't checked IE yet.

          --Brian Jackson

          On 02/03/07, Brian Jackson < iggy@theiggy.com> wrote:

          There's a div on top of the image that you can drag around. When you drag the div around it's supposed to reposition it's background so that the background lines up with the image that it's on top of. That part works. It just seems to take a few milliseconds too long to update that background in firefox.

          You should be able to just drag the box around on top of the image and see what I'm talking about. It should be fluid movement, but it's not.

          --Brian Jackson

          On Mar 1, 2007, at 9:39 PM, randomjuju wrote:

          Hey.

          I just poked at this a bit, but I don't think I really understand the
          problem. What do you mean by "do" the background image? And which
          div are you talking about in the second half of your post? And what
          do you mean by "catches?"

          Sorry -- I don't mean to be nit-picking, but I'm also not sure what
          behavior to look for.

          Thanks!

          -Jon

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com , Brian Jackson <iggy@...> wrote:

          > I'm having an issue with Firefox redrawing a div's background issue.
          > It works fine in Safari. It's really hard to describe the problem.
          > Best to just take a look. The non-greyed out box can be dragged
          > around. When you do the background image of the div (which is the
          > same as the main image) "catches" when you move the div around.
          > Anybody ever see anything like this? Got any ideas what to try?
          >
          > http://enpointe. iomnis.com/crop/index. html

          --
          http://worldofnic.org

        • randomjuju
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2007
            Ah -- that may be the problem.

            Firefox under Linux and OSX tends to be slow (especially under Linux).
            Try though I might, I've never found a good technical explanation as
            to why that happens. Javascript apps that run at 60FPS in
            Firefox/Windows will crawl at 1FPS in Firefox/Linux on the same laptop.

            Anyhow, I think that the moral of the story is just that the browser
            can't keep up/redraw fast enough to make the effect seamless. I did a
            quick profile of your code, and nothing is running abnormally slowly
            or being called more often than I'd expect. I think this is just one
            of those cross-browser/cross-OS issues that pop up every now and then.

            In related news, does anybody here have an explanation for why Firefox
            can be so much slower on non-Windows operating systems?

          • Brian Jackson
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2007
              Well, it wouldn't bother me if someone else didn't have the same effect working.

              See this url that works, but not using YUI:

              --Brian Jackson

            • Nicolas Doye
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2007
                Seems to work fine on Firefox 1.5 under Linux (Fedora Core 6 on Core Duo Laptop with standard Intel graphics card).

                Perhaps I'm not fussy enough!. (Although I did get two pop-ups warning about things being undefined).

                Nice work,
                nic

                --
                http://worldofnic.org
              • Brian Jackson
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2007
                  Actually I switched it to have a fixed background for the div in everything except IE. So it has the desired effect (and isn't sluggish in Firefox anymore). But it feels kind of dirty playing tricks like that.

                  I guess I should thank everyone that looked at the problem for me. Hopefully I'll be releasing the finished product before too long.

                  --Brian Jackson

                  --
                  http://worldofnic.org