RE: [ydn-javascript] Re: detect if JS engine supports AJAX

  • dan.doyle@cexp.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2007

      Thanks for the help.

      From: ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com [mailto: ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of tssha
      Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2007 1:11 PM
      To: ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [ydn-javascript] Re: detect if JS engine supports AJAX

      --- In ydn-javascript@ yahoogroups. com, "Matt Warden" <mwarden@... > wrote:

      > On 3/1/07, dan.doyle@.. . <dan.doyle@. ..> wrote:
      > >
      > > Is there a utility in YAHOO!UI to detect if
      w:st="on">AJAX is available on a
      user's system as Yahoo! uses it? I need this in order to support
      browsers that do not support AJAX , but still have javascript available.

      > Surprisingly, there does not seem to be any way to tell if
      instantiation fails:

      > createXhrObject: function( transactionId)
      > {
      > var obj,http;
      > try
      > {
      > // Instantiates XMLHttpRequest in non-IE browsers and assigns to
      http.
      > http = new XMLHttpRequest( );
      > // Object literal with http and tId properties
      > obj = { conn:http, tId:transactionId };
      > YAHOO.log('XHR object created for transaction ' + transactionId,
      > 'info', 'Connection' );
      > }
      > catch(e)
      > {
      > for(var i=0; i<this._msxml_ progid.length; ++i){
      > try
      > {
      > // Instantiates XMLHttpRequest for IE and assign to http.
      > http = new ActiveXObject( this._msxml_ progid[i] );
      > // Object literal with conn and tId properties
      > obj = { conn:http, tId:transactionId };
      > YAHOO.log('ActiveX XHR object created for transaction ' +
      > transactionId, 'info', 'Connection' );
      > break;
      > }
      > catch(e){}
      > finally
      > {
      > return obj;
      > }
      > },

      YAHOO.util.Connect. asyncRequest( ) returns null if instantiation fails.

      /* debug version */
      var o = this.getConnectionO bject();
      if(!o){
      YAHOO.log('Unable to create connection object.', 'error','Connection ');
      return null;

      Thomas