5361Attaching form onsubmit listener

  • foti-1@comcast.net
    Oct 2 12:21 PM
      A more traditional form onsubmit event handler might look like this:

      <form id="someForm" onsubmit="return validate();">

      In other words, the result of the validate() function determines whether or not the form submits. Is this the correct way to do the same thing using the YUI Event Utility:

      <script type="text/javascript" src="./yui/build/yahoo/yahoo.js"></script>
      <script type="text/javascript" src="./yui/build/event/event.js"></script>
      <script type="text/javascript" src="./yui/build/dom/dom.js"></script>
      <script type="text/javascript">
      function validate(e)
      {
      // Perform validation... if it fails, then call...
      YAHOO.util.Event.stopEvent(e);
      }

      function attachBehaviors()
      {
      YAHOO.util.Event.on('someForm','submit',validate);
      }
      YAHOO.util.Event.on(window,'load',attachBehaviors);
      </script>

      In other words, since we can't "return" a value in our event handler, we instead either stop or don't stop the event. Would this be the correct way to do this?
      Thanks,
      Peter
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic