5088RE: [ydn-javascript] Fonts Question - Display is 9/10px instead of 13px

  • Nate Koechley
    Sep 21, 2006

      Hi Paul,

      I believe you’re measuring the “x-height” (or perhaps the “ascent”) instead of the overall “size” which should include ascenders and descenders. The illustration on this Wikipedia page may help clarify these terms:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-height

      When you include the ascenders and descenders in addition to the x-height, the size of the default font rendered by YUI’s CSS Fonts is 13px, as you can see in this screenshot:

      http://yuiblog.com/sandbox/yui/v0113/examples/fonts/yui-fonts-default-size.png

      I hope that helps.

      Thanks,

      Nate