41828Re: Parallel Downloads

  • dev.sebastian
    Dec 2, 2008
      Hi Eric.

      Thanks for your answer.
      I am trying to read all the wisdom but sometimes it is more specific
      why I ask here for help :-)

      exactly the opposite of what I thought. I do believe these servers are
      faster but in that amount … huhh ;)

      In the same way I am impressed that loading my images from a subdomain
      is faster.
      But I don't understand the cookie-thing. Why are a cookies sent on a
      image request? And, do the cookies form Google Analytics (on Google's
      server) count as well?

      Thanks again for these insights!

      bye
      sebastian

      http://developer.yahoo.com/performance
      > . There is no exact answer to your question...but the performance
      > rules we've distilled provide you the framework we use in making these
      > decisions.
      >
      > It is almost always going to be true that serving YUI files combo-
      > handled from Yahoo's servers or individually from Google's servers
      > will be faster than serving them from your servers, although JS files,
      > regardless of their domain, do block. But Google and Yahoo have
      > extensive server infrastructures with edge hosting throughout the
      > world. It's unlikely that your own hosting provider can match the
      > performance of these high end systems.
      >
      > One of the reasons to load images from a separate domain is that your
      > images.example.com subdomain is probably uncookied; whereas your
      > user's cookies are being transmitted with every image request on your
      > main domain, they are not transmitted to a subdomain if you've set
      > them up correctly. Also, the 2x2 rule in older browsers is addressed
      > by using this approach.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Eric
      >

      > On Nov 29, 2008, at 12:47 PM, dev.sebastian wrote:
      >
      > > Hi
      > > I came across this post
      > > http://yuiblog.com/blog/2007/04/11/performance-research-part-4/
      > > and I am not sure if I am right.
      > >
      > > If I would load some parts of my site - like my images - from another
      > > domain, I can increase parallel downloads and so the time for all
      > > downloads falls?
      > >
      > > Lets say I will load my images not like "/images/file.png" but like
      > > "http://images.example.com/file.png". Is it faster?
      > > Isn't the time looking which server/IP the domain has more
      > > "expensive"?
      > >
      > > In this case: I though it is faster to load the YUI! files from my
      > > server. But maybe it is faster to load it from Yahoo's server because
      > > the browser can download two css files and my scripts (from my server)
      > > parallel?
      > >
      > > suntrop

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic