41739Re: YUI Layout - smooth transition

  • Caridy Patino
    Dec 1, 2008
      Hey Alex,

      Placing "debugger;" in your code should work.

      When I mentioned the problems debugging I was talking about the inline
      JS code, external js code can be debugged easily with firebug, just
      select the corresponding script file, and places the breakpoints, and
      reloads the page, that's really easy, in the case of inline scripts,
      it's a little hard.

      If you have a test case, I can try to find the error in your code,
      send me the link.

      Best Regards,
      Caridy Patino (caridy at yahoo-inc.com)
      Yahoo! LATAM

      > I'm not sure it it works, but give it a try, put the instruction:
      >
      > debugger;
      >
      > at the top of the file that is dynamically loaded and run your app. It
      > should stop there whenever and however it gets loaded.
      >
      > Satyam
      >

      > Alex Wibowo wrote:
      > > Hi Satyam,
      > >

      > > What did u mean by that? The fetched code is not available at all in
      > > the 'script' tab in firebug.... so how can i put the breakpoint ??
      > > Did I miss something obvious here??
      > >

      > > On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 9:51 PM, Satyam <satyam@...
      > > <mailto:satyam@...>> wrote:
      > >
      > > You can place a 'debugger' statement in the loaded code and
      that will
      > > act as a breakpoint.
      > >

      > > Alex Wibowo wrote:
      > > > Hi Caridy,
      > > >

      > > > As I mentioned... I'm trying to find the most effective way to
      > > debug
      > > > the Javascript that is executed inside the fetched page.
      > > > As you have pointed, this is not possible using Firebug (i.e. in
      > > > firebug, the javascript debugger will go as far as the call to
      > > fetch()
      > > > or addUnit()).
      > > > My alternative strategy, is to make the fetched page as
      > > > 'self-contained' as possible. i.e. so that it is possible to
      > > visit the
      > > > fetched page by itself - so that I can do my javascript
      > > debugging there.
      > > > However, this has a problem.
      > > >

      > > > Say the parent page includes yuiloader-min.js , container.js,
      > > etc, and
      > > > the same javascript files are needed in the fetched page.
      > > > I have to include it twice. Hence , the browser will try to
      > > fetch them
      > > > twice. This is bad, isnt it?
      > > > But i dont know how to solve it otherwise...
      > > >

      > > > On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 9:05 AM, Caridy Patino <caridy@...
      > > <mailto:caridy%40gmail.com>
      > > > <mailto:caridy@... <mailto:caridy%40gmail.com>>> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hey Alex,
      > > >
      > > > Here are the differences these methods:
      > > >
      > > > YAHOO.util.Dispatcher.fetch: uses the YUI Connection Manager
      to load
      > > > the content and places the result with in the specified element
      > > (ID).
      > > >
      > > > YAHOO.util.Dispatcher.addUnit: leaves the AJAX routine to
      the Layout
      > > > Manager, and handles the response, executing the scripts, and
      > > placing
      > > > the result inside the specified unit (unit reference or
      position).

      > > > YAHOO.util.Dispatcher.delegate: leaves the AJAX routine to the
      > > > Tabview, and handles the reponse, executing the scripts, and
      placing
      > > > the result inside the specified tab (tab reference).
      > > >
      > > > So, you should use the addUnit all the time with your layouts,
      > > but if
      > > > you want to use the fetch, it's fine, you just need to get
      the Unit
> [...]
      30/11/2008 17:53

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic