33212Re: [ydn-javascript] Re: newbie rollercoster excited=>coming off danger list

    Jun 24, 2008

      andy wrote:
      in the tutorial, what is the basis for your code?

      Is it the "Basic Example"... If not I think that the code request
      others have asked for is basically the example you've written in
      chunks, but all on one page.

      Plenty of those in the examples page:

      http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/datatable/index.html

      The article explain why it works, you can get full examples from plenty of sources.
      What have you used as your data source - as a beginner, if getting
      data from a database should I get into the habit of using JSON?

      If your server supports it, why not!  It is simple, flexible and fast on the client side.  I use this:

      http://www.satyam.com.ar/yui/#phpjson

      It's really confusing to understand where to start is it with
      xmlhttp, json, jscript ahhhhhhhhhhh!

      All of the above, and then some more.
      The source code of the YUI examples don't appear to be consistent, so
      they can't be used as cut and past templates which is a real headache
      (I'm using iboprofen) for the beginner - this is especially with
      regard to the different types of datasource. I've learned all of my
      programming in this way, and I'm really wondering whether I can
      justify the time just to get started even with a simple table. I feel
      a real idiot.

      No, it is not, some of the code boxes show an evolving idea, some show alternatives.  If you are looking for code, go for the examples.
      So to repeat others' earlier requests, could we have the final markup
      for the page you've written in your tutorial, please? It will make it
      1000 times easier to see how it's all finally put together.

      Once again, there is not such things, most of the pieces in the code boxes where modified from actual code, simplified, with things renamed or expanded to make it clear.  The article is about fishing, if you want fish, look at the examples.

      thanks... please don't forget part one of this message

      andy

      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "andy" <andyboyns@...> wrote:

      Hi

      Great tutorial, still getting headaches though... perhaps I'm not
      ready :-/

      What I could really use is an idiots guide, e.g.

      1. This is how your data should look (so link to appropriate asp or
      php page to process requests for that data)
      2. This is how you fill in the datatable and make it editable
      3. This is how you pass data back to your php or asp page to write

      the database.
      4. Recommendation for appropriate drink to have once this
      successfully completed.

      Furthermore, there isn't an example which shows how drag and drop

      can

      be used to interact with a datatable, or to dump rows into bins

      (This

      is a facility I'd love.... just like in the new Yahoo Mail, as it
      would enable me to regroup my student records really easily). Your
      invoice example kind of does it, except it "copies" the original
      record, rather than moving it.

      thanks

      andy

      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Satyam <satyam@> wrote:

      You might want to read:

      http://yuiblog.com/blog/2007/09/26/satyam-datatable-2/

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          mailto:ydn-javascript-digest@yahoogroups.com
          mailto:ydn-javascript-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG. Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 270.4.1/1514 - Release Date: 23/06/2008 7:17
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic