31936Re: 2Gb limit a problem. Can/will the YUI Uploader support FTP protocol?

  • starvingprogrammer
    Jun 1, 2008
      I've never used the YUI uploader, but I am aware that PHP doesn't work
      with files larger than 2 GB. This is expected to be fixed in version
      5.3 (http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=27792). Also, Apache started
      supporting files > 2 GB in version 2.2
      (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/new_features_2_2.html). I'd rule out
      the YUI uploader by ensuring that your server can accept uploads over 2
      GB via the Web server. Try a simple html form upload with Perl,
      Python, etc. If that works then try hooking the YUI uploader to that.
      Otherwise, an alternative to Java applets could be some Firefox add-on
      FTP client.

      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "dsmith21401" <dc_webmastr@...>
      wrote:

      > I really need a lightweight application that supports file
      > uploads over 2Gb via a web browser. Since it seems browsers are
      > limited to 2Gb (regardless of underlying architecture...unless someone
      > can prove me wrong?), then FTP seems to be the only way to go.
      >
      > Why doesn't the Uploader support FTP protocol, or can it even?
      >
      > I have seen a couple Java applets that integrate with web pages to do
      > FTP in a single, seamless environment, but I need something less heavy
      > and was hoping for an Ajax-type solution.
      >
      > In the event the YUI uploader can't do FTP, does anyone know if
      regular
      > Ajax supports FTP with a progress meter? I don't need everybody to
      > input their own FTP account info. I have a single FTP account I want
      > to hard-code into the application that accepts the large file
      transfers.

      > Thanks in advance for any ideas!

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic