30099RE: [ydn-javascript] HTML tidy messing up grid structure

  • Karr, David
    May 1, 2008
      Just a guess, but are you perhaps using the strict doctype?  Did you validate your HTML against the doctype to make sure you don't have any violations?  For instance, one possibility is that you have "div" elements inside "p" elements, which violates the strict doctype.  I wonder if Tidy just "cleans it up" by removing those elements?

      From: ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tom Cloyd, M.S., M.A.
      Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 5:04 AM
      To: ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [ydn-javascript] HTML tidy messing up grid structure

      I have just joined this List, and searched for posts re: this problem,
      and have come up with zip, so here it is:

      I'm only trying to set up a page using one of the YUI grids. After
      having worked with several different arrangements, I've found that
      some cannot stand up to Tidy. It strips out various "div" wrappers,
      with no error being registered. I haven't yet found a pattern to it.

      I'm running tidy from within the jEdit editor, and have good access to
      the tidy configuration parameters, but nothing I've tried so far has
      fixed the problem from that end of things. At this point I simple
      don't dare tidy my pages - doing so breaks them, plain and simple.
      This is clearly not good.

      I'm hoping someone else has had and solved this problem.

      Any ideas as to the source of the problem?

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic