2348Re: [ydn-javascript] research: why YUI dragdrop is so slow

  • Peter Michaux
    Jun 16, 2006
      On 6/16/06, Adam Moore <adamoore@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 08:06:24AM -0700, Peter Michaux wrote:
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I spent some time trying to pin down exactly why the Yahoo! UI
      > > dragdrop library is so slow for me during the drag. I think it is the
      > > use of YAHOO.util.Dom.setXY().
      >

      > Peter, thanks for drilling into this. Originally drag and drop did not rely
      > on setXY, but was later updated to use it in order to benefit from the
      > accuracy it provides. While setXY can't be replaced, we should be able to
      > improve the performance by caching the initial position produced by setXY and
      > using that value to set the position directly during the drag. I am
      > investigating incorporating this change for the 0.11 release.

      Adam, I like your solution idea. I tried it and it works fine except I
      get a gnarly flicker in Safari and Firefox when I setXY in the
      mousedown handler. In the handler I've tried the following. The Dom
      line causes the flicker.

      this.initialPageX = YAHOO.util.Event.getPageX(event);
      this.initialPageY = YAHOO.util.Event.getPageY(event);

      YAHOO.util.Dom.setXY(this.element, YAHOO.util.Dom.getXY(this.element));

      this.initialLeft = parseInt(this.element.style.left.split("px", 1), 10);
      this.initialTop = parseInt(this.element.style.top.split("px", 1), 10);

      Here is the new example

      http://peter.michaux.ca/examples/yui-dragdrop-v0_10-performance/with-setXY-new.html

      Peter
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic