A different way to integrate yahoo maps into a flex 2.0 app

  • Karl
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 11, 2006
      Has anyeone tried just building a 1.5 swf that contains all of your
      mapping components, since it will work natively with the yahoo maps
      components in 1.5, and then just loading that 1.5 swf inside of a
      loader in your parent 2.0 app? You could still have most of your custom
      controls live in the parent app and have them call functions on the 1.5
      swf.

      Has anyone given this a shot? It seems much cleaner then the
      current "work-around".

      Karl
    • Gregory S.
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 11, 2006
        Karl,

        Funny you should bring it up. As hopefull as I was, I tried unsuccessful to do exactly what you suggested. But due to communication issues between the avm1 and avm2 in the player, I was not able to do more than get a map. Yes it did what it was supposed to, but no interaction was really available. I guess, In a sense what you propose, could avctually work, but I don't see the point. If you built the map with everything you want, just to wrap it up in as3, you end up killing a huge percent (I'd guess upwards of the 90's or so) of the performance you would be looking to get out of as3 and player 9. But, yes It could work. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes for you!

        Good Luck
        Greg Starr
        Maps Team

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 12, 2006
          I created a yahoo maps app in AS2 and then called the functions in a Flex2 proj and it
          seemed to work fine, panning zooming , changing map views, havent really tried anything more fancy
          than that , but it sure is possible.

          cheers :)
          firdosh

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 12, 2006
            You can also check out FlashInterface that makes things easier when it
            comes to communicate
            between AVM and AVM +..

            http://osflash.org/flashinterface

            -abdul

          • Karl
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 12, 2006
              Finished this up today. There are obviously a ton of reasons to want
              to develop an overall application in flex 2 vs. flex 1.5, and since
              one piece of that application is mapping integration, I wanted to
              still take advantage of the great flex api available from Yahoo! as
              well as develop the overall app in flex 2. So I did exactly as
              discussed below.

              I created 1.5 app that contains the swc as well as the basic
              container that holds the map component and a few functions exposed
              that allow the parent swf to call and do things like add markers,
              etc. I compiled this app into swf using the 1.5 compiler and then
              loaded it into a swfloader in my parent flex 2.0 app. Then used a
              localConnection to allow the parent swf to call functions on the
              mapping swf.

              So far so good! At least this solutions keeps it all in a flex dev
              environment instead of having to use the flash ide and create a fla
              movie for the map piece.

              Karl

              Cynergy Systems