Mast wedge

  • justin craig
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
      I'd like to take a quick poll,

      What do you have for wedges between your mast and the deck? Wood, rubber? something else?

      I steped the mast Friday. I have the rigging inplace. Just need to add some wedges or spacers so I can tune.

      Thanks,

      justin

    • Steve Botts

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
          Wood.  It's solid, pretty dry, but not perfect.
          Steve, I had to look up "Spartite." It looks good.  Would you recommend it?

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
            I installed Spartite about 5-6 years ago, so did Bob Boynton.  It is a great solution.  Just seems expensive to me.
             --
            Steve Botts

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
              I installed Spartite.

              Only suggestion I have  is make sure your mast is tuned before installing. That is:  tune the mast, then sail it, make sure it feels right,  then install it.  It's a lot less "adjustable" then the wedges.

              Diego

              To: yankee30@yahoogroups.com
              From: sbotts@...
              Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 20:14:42 -0700

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2010
                Spartite. However, first look for my post on the Sailnet site, for tips on how NOT to install it on a Yankee (search "Spartite"). It is relatively expensive, especially if you have to do it twice (and...oh, what a mess)!

                --- In yankee30@yahoogroups.com, justin craig <endeavor64@...> wrote:

                > I'd like to take a quick poll,
                >
                > What do you have for wedges between your mast and the deck? Wood, rubber?
                > something else?
                >
                > I steped the mast Friday. I have the rigging inplace. Just need to add some
                > wedges or spacers so I can tune.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > justin

              • justin craig
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2010
                  I'm just starting to put everything back together after painting.
                  I'm bedding all deck hardware with buytl tape. If you're not familiar with it, there is good info on sailnet.

                  Thanks for all the info on mast blocking.

                  I think I'll use wood to start and then use spartight once I find the right setup.