new owner

  • bella
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 8, 2006
      Good evening.
      I am 'bella, I am in the process of purchasing
      Cache O Wind, hull #67,
      a 1972 mark II. The deal will be finalized when i get back from my
      sailing charter.

      I have previously owned or been owned by an ericson 27, catalina 400
      and a morgan 51. Yes, I know I am going backwards.. but i keep
      divesting myself of children and husbands.. so now its the cat and
      me.

      I am not used to the term 'winterizing' and spring commisioning..
      have been most of my life in florida where we sail year round.

      Cacho, to be renamed something else.. how long should it normally
      take me to get the engine back to running after having sat all winter
      and the spring??? My ideal would be IN the water for july 4th.. is
      that realitic? the sails are good, main is a yr old, genoa 2 yrs
      old..
      new learning curve to relearn the tiller, but i am sure i can do
      it...
      might be old as dirt bit i can still learn or relearn..

      any websites out there that give me more info on the A4?

      thanks, lovely boat, will reserve sailing opinion until i sail her,
      if you please..
      fair winds
      'bella
      s/v morningstar or lilith
      72 Y30
      baltimore
    • Steve Botts
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 8, 2006

        Welcome Izabella,

        ….and congratulations on your “new” boat.  I think you’re gonna like the way she sails, but we’ll let you reserve your judgment until after you’ve sailed her.    I sail year round too, so I’ve never had to do the commissioning thing.  I’ve listed several Atomic 4 resources that you may find useful.  One word of caution that is worth mentioning, since it could save you from having a very bad day.  Do not under any circumstances crank the engine for longer than about 15 seconds with the water intake open.  You run the risk of having water run back through the exhaust line into the engine until it fills up the crankcase with water.

        Atomic4@yahoogroups.com

        http://list.sailnet.net/read/?forum=atomic4

        http://www.moyermarine.com/

        http://storm.prohosting.com/yankee30/atomic4.htm

        Let us know when you finalize the deal.

        Regards, Steve

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 15, 2006
          Steve;

          When I had my standpipe checked for corrosion about ten years ago, my exhaust guy (who is at least as old as dirt and has been fabricating and repairing marine exhaust systems for at least forty-five years) told me that unlike the ubiquitous 'waterlift'-type muffler, the design of the yankee standpipe system ensures that no matter how long you crank the engine with the raw water valve open no water is going to leak back down the exhaust pipe into the cylinders because the exhaust pipe ( the inner pipe in the standpipe) extends at least four inches (and maybe more) above the exhaust/water outlet (which I believe is the part that you recently had a problem with). Of course you could have water overflow into the exhaust pipe if there was a blockage further down the line and water backed up in the system or if you were heeled in excess of fifty degrees or so to starboard with the engine running or if under normal motoring conditions you were unlucky enough to be able to make water run uphill.
          Of course if anyone has to crank an atomic four for more than fifteen seconds to get it to start, there are obviously other issues than require attention. Additionally, I mistakenly said that 'the zinc is going away from the copper' in a former post. I meant tin, not zinc. My bad.

          JS

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 19, 2006
            John,
            You're absolutely right about the standpipe originally installed in the
            Yankee 30. It is a great design and it will not allow water to flow
            back into the engine like the water-lift muffler which is more commonly
            found. A number of early Yankee 30's had cast iron or carbon steel
            standpipes which have long since rusted away. Bob Boynton, who owns
            Seawitch had one of these and replaced it with a stainless steel
            duplicate of the original many years ago. A number of other boats have
            been upgraded to a modern waterlift muffler and in those cases it is not
            a good idea to continue cranking your engine.

            By the way, I just had some work done on my standpipe, which happens to
            be made of copper. I had a new section of 1.5" copper pipe - the water
            outlet - welded on, as I replaced all of the fittings between the engine
            and the standpipe. The standpipe itself is in great condition. -Steve

            ------

            Behalf Of bella
            > Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 11:08 PM
            > To: yankee30@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [yankee30] new owner
            >

            > Good evening.
            > I am 'bella, I am in the process of purchasing
            > Cache O Wind, hull #67,
            > a 1972 mark II. The deal will be finalized when i get back from my
            > sailing charter.
            >
            > I have previously owned or been owned by an ericson 27, catalina 400
            > and a morgan 51. Yes, I know I am going backwards.. but i keep
            > divesting myself of children and husbands.. so now its the cat and
            > me.
            >
            > I am not used to the term 'winterizing' and spring commisioning..
            > have been most of my life in florida where we sail year round.
            >
            > Cacho, to be renamed something else.. how long should it normally
            > take me to get the engine back to running after having sat all
            winter
            > and the spring??? My ideal would be IN the water for july 4th.. is
            > that realitic? the sails are good, main is a yr old, genoa 2 yrs
            > old..
            > new learning curve to relearn the tiller, but i am sure i can do
            > it...
            > might be old as dirt bit i can still learn or relearn..
            >
            > any websites out there that give me more info on the A4?
            >
            > thanks, lovely boat, will reserve sailing opinion until i sail her,
            > if you please..
            > fair winds
            > 'bella
            > s/v morningstar or lilith