Re: Sticky companionway hatch

  • wdemeter
    Message 1 of 20 , May 1, 2009
      Yes, I have tried lubricating the rails. This is more resistance than that. Besides, it wouldn't explain the wear on top of the hatch. Never noticed the wear until I recently removed my dodger. Thing is, I can see the front of the cover above the hatch. Can't imagine what it can be rubbing on! Aren't those screws in the picture holding the traveler track to the wood bridge beneath it? Otherwise, how would you get to the nuts holding the cover on? Anyway, guess I'm just gonna have to open er up and see what worms come out! Regarding your reluctant screw (seems like I have more of those, the older I get!) I have a manual impact screw driver made by Mac Tools. Made specifically for situations like this. The thing is priceless for breaking screws loose! You put the proper size bit in, strike the tool with a hammer, and the impact rotates the screw. Recently used it on some small screws on my furler that were frozen because someone neglected to coat prior to installation. Think I would have been hard pressed to get them out with an easy out. --- In yankee30@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Campbell" <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > I believe the sea hood is attached to the traveller by the screws that go down through the traveller. I'm planning on taking mine off also, to prepare for painting - but am having trouble getting the last three screws out.
      >
      > I took a picture (although I'm sure you can picture it), here: http://www.ramoak.com/yankee30/image-gallery/38/trouble-along-the-way.
      >
      > Any suggestions for things to try to get them out? I've got large screwdrivers, and have tried heat. Tonight I'll have an assistant to help and will get him to put all his weight on the screwdriver while I use a wrench to move it, but I'm not optimistic - and every time I fail, I take a little more meat off of the screw, making failure the next time more likely. I'd really like to avoid drilling these out - they're large stainless screws, and I have visions of watching several drill bits fly to pieces during the process...
      >
      > Oh - and my hatch is quite sticky also. Have you tried lubricating the slides with one of the newfangled poisonous lubricants?
      >
      > Chris
      >
      > --- In yankee30@yahoogroups.com, "wdemeter" <WDemeter@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The hatch has always had some resistance when I first slide to close, or toward the end of the slide to open. Some resistance might be good to keep the hatch from slamming open or shut in big seas, but I've clearly got too much! The resistance seems to fluctuate (maybe expanding or contracting with temp.). Just pulled off the piece on the back of the traveler that the dodger attaches to. This allows me to look forward between the hatch cover and the top of the hatch. Seems to be clear on top which is strange, because there is obvious wear on the top front of the hatch (which I see when I close it). The tracks seem to have plenty of play (in the rear at least). Anyway, just wondering if anyone has encountered this problem. The next step is obviously to pull the hatch cover. The hatch cover is sitting snuggly under the traveler. Is it just sitting there or is it fastened to the traveler is some way? Just trying to figure out what can of worms I might be opening, before I open it!

    • William Ramelli
      Message 2 of 20 , May 1, 2009
        Hi,
        If all else fails think about the hatch cover cover, covers the hatch forward of the main traveler.  This cover is constructed with fiberglass overlying plywood.  On my boat I took the cover off and ground off some of the delaminated plywood.  problem solved.
        Bill

        Message 3 of 20 , May 1, 2009
          Ok, there's an answer! Hopefully thats it, as it's an easy fix! Did
          you only have to take out the screws around the paremeter of the cover
          to remove it? I'm thinking about replaceing the thin teak spacer below
          the cover with a piece of plastic from TAP as it would probably hold up
          better and be easier to maintain. Mine is pretty ratty!

          Thanks, Bill
          --- In yankee30@yahoogroups.com, William Ramelli <williamramelli@...>

          Message 4 of 20 , May 1, 2009
            The fix took place years ago and I don't remember there being any problem getting the cover off.  I also replaced the teak and as I remember I had to resaw the bent forward piece of teak to easily get the bend.

          • ansmktg@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , May 2, 2009
              On Avocet I removed the cover an everything else completely in prep for painting (Awlgrip) the hull and decks then reinforced the underside of cover with glass cloth and resin. Really made it strong by glassing in large aluminum discs on underside that have threaded bolt pattern for mounting small life raft. The raft can be mounted and removed as travel plans require. No rubbing ever was a problem. I did replace the teak trim pieces with new thicker teak sealed all around with Cetol before rebedding cover. The whole rebuild came out beautiful. Sounds like something needs to be removed on yours to stop the rubbing. Think about glassing underside after to keep it dry and to prevent delamination again and to add strength in that area. Don't bother looking at home page owners directory for pics of my application... Avocets pics have never been updated from the previous owners since 4 yrs ago..if you want pics e-mail direct. Good luck, Andy / Avocet

              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              From: "wdemeter"
              Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 00:22:51 -0000
              To: <yankee30@yahoogroups.com>

              Campbell" yahoo@ wrote:

              > > I believe the sea hood is attached to the traveller by the screws
              that go down through the traveller. I'm planning on taking mine off
              also, to prepare for painting - but am having trouble getting the last
              three screws out.

              > > I took a picture (although I'm sure you can picture it), here:
              http://www.ramoak. com/yankee30/ image-gallery/ 38/trouble- along-the-
              way.

              > > Any suggestions for things to try to get them out? I've got large
              screwdrivers, and have tried heat. Tonight I'll have an assistant to
              help and will get him to put all his weight on the screwdriver while I
              use a wrench to move it, but I'm not optimistic - and every time I fail,
              I take a little more meat off of the screw, making failure the next time
              more likely. I'd really like to avoid drilling these out - they're large
              stainless screws, and I have visions of watching several drill bits fly
              to pieces during the process...

              > > Oh - and my hatch is quite sticky also. Have you tried lubricating
              the slides with one of the newfangled poisonous lubricants?

              > > Chris
              >

              > > --- In yankee30@yahoogroup s.com, "wdemeter" <WDemeter@> wrote:
              >

              > > > The hatch has always had some resistance when I first slide to
              close, or toward the end of the slide to open. Some resistance might be
              good to keep the hatch from slamming open or shut in big seas, but I've
              clearly got too much! The resistance seems to fluctuate (maybe expanding
              or contracting with temp.). Just pulled off the piece on the back of the
              traveler that the dodger attaches to. This allows me to look forward
              between the hatch cover and the top of the hatch. Seems to be clear on
              top which is strange, because there is obvious wear on the top front of
              the hatch (which I see when I close it). The tracks seem to have plenty
              of play (in the rear at least). Anyway, just wondering if anyone has
              encountered this problem. The next step is obviously to pull the hatch
              cover. The hatch cover is sitting snuggly under the traveler. Is it just
              sitting there or is it fastened to the traveler is some way? Just trying
              to figure out what can of worms I
              > might be opening, before I open it!

            • Chris Campbell
              Message 6 of 20 , May 3, 2009
                I just got my sea hood off today, finally, after wrecking a power impact driver and finally having success with a manual one. Turns out that my companionway hatch is hard to move because the plywood coring of the sea hood has delaminated and rubs against it. Another thing to repair!

                Pics:
                http://www.ramoak.com/yankee30/image-gallery/38/trouble-along-the-way and http://www.ramoak.com/yankee30/image-gallery/19/image-gallery.

                Cheers,

                Chris

                Message 7 of 20 , May 4, 2009
                  Hi Cris:
                  I have a different traveler set up (see traveler front and rear in Addie L. photos) so, I'll do a separate post. However, some information regarding your situation will help me. When you said (on your website) the traveler was attached to the cabin top, I assume you meant attached to the hatch cover and the towers on each side of it (I didn't see the towers in your pictures). Is this correct?
                  If so, how was the track fastened to the cover? I assume they used trough bolts, if so how did you get access to the nuts underneath? Were the brackets ( which are through bolted into the coach top on my boat) on either side of the cover attached to the cover?
                  Thanks, Bill

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 4, 2009
                    Bill, the screws that hold the traveler to the hatch cover screw into threads that are tapped into a heavy piece of aluminum glassed into th hatch cover.

                    Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                    From: "wdemeter"
                    Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 03:01:47 -0000
                    To: <yankee30@yahoogroups.com>

                    Message 9 of 20 , May 5, 2009

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 6, 2009
                        It turns out the screws in my modified traveler DO run through the
                        wooden track support (bridge) AND into the hood. So, 1.75" wood screws
                        holding the track to the bridge, then 2.5 " machine screws into the hood
                        and towers on each side! Looks like somebody was really worried. No
                        wonder I couldn't slide the hood out! The back of the hood does have
                        some delamination, however, the rubbing was taking place forward (see
                        Addie L. Pics). The hood had minor deflection, but I don't think it's
                        enough to accout for the rubbing (I assume Yankee would have allowed
                        more tollarance than that). Looks like someone already did the repair
                        and it feels solid. I'll have to open it up and have a look. It's
                        funny, but I was so disapointed NOT to find the delamination I was
                        expecting as it would have been an easy fix!

                        Message 11 of 20 , May 6, 2009
                          Is there a bump in the stainless rails that the hatch slides on? The only place the hatch is directly in contact with them is at the four corners, so that would account for the wear on the hatch only being at the back.

                          On the subject of the strength of the traveller, I don't know what to think. It seems that the stock arrangement has been good enough for most boats for years - yet it absolutely doesn't seem like it ought to be. I'm planning to replace my traveller when I put it back together, and am tempted to worry (this is characteristic of me, unfortunately) that the new one won't be as stiff as the old and that what wasn't a problem in the boat's first 37 years will be now.

                          Anyone else have a non-standard traveller - either beefed up or replaced with new - that they'd care to chime in about?

                          Message 12 of 20 , May 6, 2009
                            No bump. It glides (God thats nice!) and I can eyeball it from the companion way. Doesn't lift at all. We'll Chris, I'll sell ya the prints for my patented, Modified, Super Duper, Bombproof Traveler Support!:) Don't know that I would have bothered running all the screws through the hood, seems like overkill to me (and got a little sloppy in spots). Too bad you didn't buy my boat, seems like the PO and you are like minded! --- In yankee30@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Campbell" <yahoo@...> wrote:

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 6, 2009
                              I'm out of suggestions then. Please do let us know what caused it when you figure it out!

                              Message 14 of 20 , May 11, 2009
                                Looks like a PO did a repair (repairing delamination?) on the hood and glassed in some Luan. I hogged out the Luan at the area where the hatch was rubbing it it is still soundly attached to the hood. So, I guess the sag in the hood is causing the rubbing. It's funny, when I look at the hood from the side, I hardly see the sag. When I look from the rear of the hood it looks huge. Wonder why it failed? Seems like there was not any tolerance to put anything thicker in there. In any case, now I have to fix it. I'm thinking about cutting out the failed section of the hood and placing an new top of marine ply. Could also use the old hood as a mold for a new larger hood and class it to the old traveler base. I posted the issue on the Sailnet forum and usually get some great ideas. If anyone here has done it or has ideas, I'd love to hear them!--- In yankee30@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Campbell" <yahoo@...> wrote:

                                Message 15 of 20 , May 11, 2009
                                  Ok, I'll bite. Two ideas come to mind immediately - one pretty and impractical, the other practical and possibly workable.

                                  1) Build a new one out of teak or ipe or some other beautiful hardwood and varnish it up. Rout out grooves in the top of it and fill them will deck seam compound, or perhaps epoxy with graphite to be stronger since they wouldn't really be seams.

                                  2) Rid yourself of the old core, so what you have left is just the top skin of the original sea hood (sounds like you've already done this?). Lay the sea hood on it's back on a pair of 2x4s (or something) - the 2x4s should be on the outer edges of the sea hood so that the middle can press down. Slather it with thickened epoxy (consistency of yoghurt) and lay in some new 1/4" balsa core. Weight down the middle of it to bring the curve back. When it's cured, skin it over with cloth and epoxy, and it should be alright. Unless, of course, you mean that there is no room for core material at all? Based on what I've seen with mine this should work. Not as pretty as a nice hardwood one, though...

                                  Good luck, and keep us posted on what you end up doing!