RE: Prop replacement

  • Steve Botts
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2006

      Hi Tom,

      I have a direct drive Atomic 4 on my boat so our prop requirements are different.  The shafts were originally 7/8’”.  You can measure your shaft diameter easily in the bilge.  If you don’t have a caliper, you can use a piece of paper wrapped once around the shaft and mark a line with a pencil.  Then divide by 2π.  I’m forwarding your request to the Yankee 30 group at Yahoo.  It would be helpful to know the ratio of your reduction gear.

      You might also check with some prop manufacturers for a recommendation.  Like here:  http://www.westbynorth.com/PropRecommendation.aspx

       -Steve

      Message 2 of 3 , May 12, 2006
        In a message dated 5/11/2006 5:51:35 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, sbotts@... writes:

        Hi Tom,

        I have a direct drive Atomic 4 on my boat so our prop requirements are different.  The shafts were originally 7/8’”.  You can measure your shaft diameter easily in the bilge.  If you don’t have a caliper, you can use a piece of paper wrapped once around the shaft and mark a line with a pencil.  Then divide by 2ð.  I’m forwarding your request to the Yankee 30 group at Yahoo.  It would be helpful to know the ratio of your reduction gear.

        You might also check with some prop manufacturers for a recommendation.  Like here:  http://www.westbynorth.com/PropRecommendation.aspx

         -Steve

        I have Yankee 30 hull #120. Since your boat is similat to mine, what is a good prop for this boat? I presntly have a 10hp Westerbeke diesel. Earlier I had the boat out of the water and have the packing replaced and a new stuffing box. The prop and the shaft were removed and cleaned. Today I probably broke a shear pin and need to scuba dive under my boat. Presently, there is a two bladed prop on the boat now with minimal pitch. Off hand, do you know the shaft size on this boat. I know that some shafts vary in size.Also, how large and which model of a prop will fit on this boat to help push it along.

        Tom Melville

        Ingenuity, hull #130 has a Bukh  10hp diesel by Westerbeke. The shaft  is 7/8 and we are pulling  a 12x10 three blade.  I hope this helps. Al Rice
        FYI  Ingenuity has been sold, will try to get new owners in list.
      • peterlwj99
        Message 3 of 3 , May 12, 2006
          Hi Tom,

          Props can be a bit complex. The correct prop for your boat is
          dependent on a number of variables. The HP of the engine, how fast it
          turns at max power, how much clearence there is between hull and prop
          which defines max diameter, and the reduction gear of your motor.
          What is wrong with your current prop in terms of performance? Can you
          bring the engine up to max RPMs in forward? Do you get decent speed
          and power? You should get all the figures on your engine and
          reduction gear and then call a couple of prop shops for their
          opinion. I have found the people at Martec very helpful. I am running
          a 13 inch right hand prop with a 9 pitch, but I have a high RPM 3
          cylinder diesel that reaches 3600 RPM and is 20 HP. I am also
          violating a couple of prop "rules" by having my prop 3.75 inches away
          from my cutlass bearing (too far out) and by having the prop clear
          the hull by 1/4 inch (way too close). But it works great.

          --- In yankee30@yahoogroups.com, aandrrice@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 5/11/2006 5:51:35 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          > sbotts@... writes:
          >

          > Hi Tom,
          > I have a direct drive Atomic 4 on my boat so our prop requirements
          are
          > different. The shafts were originally 7/8’”. You can measure
          your shaft
          > diameter easily in the bilge. If you don’t have a caliper, you
          can use a piece of
          > paper wrapped once around the shaft and mark a line with a
          pencil. Then
          > divide by 2ð. I’m forwarding your request to the Yankee 30
          group at Yahoo. It
          > would be helpful to know the ratio of your reduction gear.
          > You might also check with some prop manufacturers for a
          recommendation.
          > Like here: _http://www.westbynorth.com/PropRecommendation.aspx_
          > (http://www.westbynorth.com/PropRecommendation.aspx)
          > -Steve
          >

          > ____________________________________

          5/10/2006

          > _Yachts for sale_
          > (http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Yachts+for+sale&w1=Yachts+for+sale&w2=Yacht+sales&w3=Sailing+ya
          cht&c=3&s=57&.sig=TCVazKdWrDGAIKmvI5Y
          > y8w) _Yacht sales_
          > (http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Yacht+sales&w1=Yachts+for+sale&w2=Yacht+sales&w3=Sailing+yacht&
          c=3&s=57&.sig=ZZzw8WKCdNMybFcnCCd5
          > HA) _Sailing yacht_
          > (http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Sailing+yacht&w1=Yachts+for+sale&w2=Yacht+sales&w3=Sailing+yach
          t&c=3&s=57&.sig=LIAiW7Z4JFbB9yYfx
          > nCJOQ)

          > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the _Yahoo! Terms
          of Service_
          > (http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/) .

          5/10/2006