Hidden storage

  • justin craig
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
      I everyone.

      I'm making some good progress on my refit of Winterhawk (hull 122).
      http://winterhawkrestoration.blogspot.com/

      I'm just about done in the forward cabin. I have a locker access in the lower starboard area below the mattress, it's on the face of the fiberglass in the area where a filler cushion would go, not the top, ie under the mattress.

      Right now this is pretty useless. The opening is too small to really fit anything into but the space behind it is huge. I'm going to open this up and install 3 or 4 drawers.

      I'm just wondering if anyone else has tapped into this area, or if you've done some other tricks to increase your storage capacity. Have you found any wasted spaces?
      Here is a link to a photo. I have one small access to starboard, none to port. To port is my holding tank so no need to do anything there. I'll do something similar to this, but maybe 3 drawers.

      Thanks,

      Justin

    • Peter Jones
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009

        Hi Justin,

        The picture of the drawers forward is exactly what my boat Emerald has. I pulled out the plastic water tank under the V berth and screwed down an egg crate to the tank support where I keep lighter stuff I do not often need. It would not match your obvious incredible attention to detail but it is handy. When you finish WinterHawk come on out to San Francisco and do Emerald.

        What you are doing looks great.

        Peter Jones

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
          I'm picking up a new router table top and plan on making a base that fits on the cockpit coaming. I could have a sailing cabinet shop here in a few months.......You're on my way......

          Interesting, I have two water tanks but both are under the settes. Honestly I haven't inspected them with much detail, but I figure she carries a good 40+ gallons there.

          Thanks for the reply.

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
                Holding tank?  What holding tank?

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 7, 2009
                  Well I guess that makes for less thru hulls.
                  Thanks for the info.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 7, 2009
                    Not exactly,  it leaves you with two existing seacocks, one for intake and one of outflow.  As we all know you cannot use the second one anymore.

                    Tom