Re: Yankee30 VS Tartan30

  • Chris Campbell
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 12, 2008
      Doh! I forgot to mention that I'd also uploaded the article into the
      "Files" section of this group, "S&S 30 Footers".

      Cheers,

      Chris

      --- In yankee30@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Campbell" <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > Hi again - just found an article on S&S 30 footers on the S&S
      > association website - it has information on the Yankee 30, design
      > #1999, the S&S 30, design #2014, and the Tartan 30, design #2016. They
      > have good things to say about all of the designs, and there are
      > differences between them. There is quite a bit of information on the
      > T30 - more than on the Y30.
      >
      > Enjoy!
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Chris

    • Gordon
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 12, 2008
        Go to this site and you can compare the T30 and Y30 side by side.
        According to this site, the y30 is better riding and better
        rollover numbers. http://www.image-ination.com/sailcalc.html

        Gordon
      • Owen McCall
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 12, 2008
          Here are some PHRF ratings for these boats:

          Tartan 30                       174
          Tartan 30 Comp               165
          Yankee Mark I                180
          Yankee Mark II               174
          Yankee mark III                168
          S&S 30 (IOR main)           192
          S&S 30 (std. main)           186     (this is my boat)

          Figures are from Lake Michigan PHRF fleet except for the Yankee figures which are from the New England PHRF fleet as none race on Lake Michigan.

          Owen

          On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 2:38 PM, justin c <endeavor_64@...> wrote:

          Can anyone tell me the difference between these two boats. The Tartan seems to be a little lighter and carry a little less sail, but otherwise seems to be very similar boats.

          Can anyone say for fact if a Yankee, say MKI or II sail away from a late 70's Tartan, non tall-rig. Were the Tartans built to high standards like Yankee?

          Color coding for safety: Windows Live Hotmail alerts you to suspicious email. Sign up today.

        • chris h
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 12, 2008
            On Wednesday 12 November 2008 22:42:52 Owen McCall wrote:
            > Here are some PHRF ratings for these boats:

            So the corollary question is how many Yankee owners race vs cruise. The latter
            is where my personal interest lies.

            The uploaded file was a fascinating read. Many thanks as I'm looking at
            various 30 footers currently.

            Regards and thanks
            --
            /ch
          • Chris Campbell
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 13, 2008
              Again - given the newness of my Yankee ownership (pick her up this
              weekend, by land) I'm not the best choice, but can't help but answer
              regardless. I bought my Yankee to cruise. I used to race dinghies, and
              still occasionally get out on other people's boats for a race, but am
              primarily interested in cruising the coast of Nova Scotia and waters
              near there (Maine, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, possibly Bermuda). Our
              North Atlantic cruising grounds can be somewhat unforgiving, so my
              choice of the Yankee reflects my desire to have a go-anywhere boat
              that is reasonably comfortable at sea (at least for a 30 footer), yet
              is reasonably quick and sprightly to sail, also. I ruled out heavy
              full-keeled boats as a result of the second criteria, and most other
              boats as a result of the first (at least when combined with a small
              budget).

              The Yankee (I think) gives me a boat that's fun to sail, will take me
              anywhere in reasonable comfort and safety, look good doing it, and not
              tax my budget unduly.

              I'm very pleased - and expect to remain so!

              Cheers,

              Chris

              --- In yankee30@yahoogroups.com, chris h <chris123@...> wrote:

              > On Wednesday 12 November 2008 22:42:52 Owen McCall wrote:
              > > Here are some PHRF ratings for these boats:
              >
              > So the corollary question is how many Yankee owners race vs cruise.
              The latter
              > is where my personal interest lies.
              >
              > The uploaded file was a fascinating read. Many thanks as I'm looking at
              > various 30 footers currently.
              >
              > Regards and thanks
              > --
              > /ch

            • chris h
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 13, 2008
                On Thursday 13 November 2008 15:16:01 Chris Campbell wrote:

                > The Yankee (I think) gives me a boat that's fun to sail, will take me
                > anywhere in reasonable comfort and safety, look good doing it, and not
                > tax my budget unduly.
                >
                > I'm very pleased - and expect to remain so!

                Thanks Chris for the insightfull response. Its interesting as the criteria on
                all sides and aspects are exactly what I'm looking for and the main issue
                being budget control. One more item is an upgrade to a diesel. Short listed
                are Albin Ballad 30, Yankee 30, Cal 29, Cal 30 and Allied Seawind 30. All are
                getting harder to find in reasonable condition or at a reasonable price for
                my wallet.

                Still looking and will see what the spring brings. Congrats on your new boat.

                Best regards and thanks
                --
                /ch
              • Chris Campbell
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 14, 2008
                  I had the Albin Ballad on my list also, but wasn't finding any of
                  them. For some reason I'm not crazy about the way the Cal's look, but
                  that's obviously just a personal thing, and the Seawind, while a great
                  choice, is a heavy displacement full keel, which I had decided against.

                  On my short list along with the Yankee were: Lippincott 30, Sabre 30,
                  Aloha 28, Albin Cumulus, Nimble 30, Sabre 28, Hallberg Rassy Monsun,
                  and a few others. I originally also had the Southern Cross 31, Sea
                  Sprite 27/28 and 30, various Cape Dories, and even an Eastern Ho 31 -
                  but decided against full keels this time around and dropped them from
                  the list.

                  On the short list virtually all the boat compromised seaworthiness in
                  favour of comfort or speed except for the Hallberg Rassy (which is
                  somewhat slow) and the Yankee (which does everything well except
                  interior accommodations).

                  I don't know where you're located, but if it's anywhere near Alabama
                  you might have a look at Quill Brigg's boat - Independence - Hull #1.
                  She's been repowered with a diesel and appears to be in pretty good
                  shape. She needs cosmetic work, of course, and a jib (oddly enough),
                  but he's asking a fair price ($15K) with that factored in. You can
                  reach him at boatdocktor@..., although he's busy. I trust that
                  he doesn't mind me passing this on, after all he contacted me since he
                  wants to sell his boat!

                  Good luck in your search - let us know what you find!

                  Cheers,

                  Chris

                  --- In yankee30@yahoogroups.com, chris h <chris123@...> wrote:

                  > On Thursday 13 November 2008 15:16:01 Chris Campbell wrote:
                  >
                  > Thanks Chris for the insightfull response. Its interesting as the
                  criteria on
                  > all sides and aspects are exactly what I'm looking for and the main
                  issue
                  > being budget control. One more item is an upgrade to a diesel. Short
                  listed
                  > are Albin Ballad 30, Yankee 30, Cal 29, Cal 30 and Allied Seawind
                  30. All are
                  > getting harder to find in reasonable condition or at a reasonable
                  price for
                  > my wallet.
                  >
                  > Still looking and will see what the spring brings. Congrats on your
                  new boat.

                  > Best regards and thanks
                  > --
                  > /ch

                • chris h
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 14, 2008
                    On Friday 14 November 2008 09:00:32 Chris Campbell wrote:
                    > I had the Albin Ballad on my list also, but wasn't finding any of
                    > them.

                    There were two boats that I missed as I was not ready. One in NY and one in
                    Mich. Both went for around 10K. Very good price points. Now they are very
                    rare in NA. There's a tricked out one in Kemah Tx but he wants a lot for it.

                    > For some reason I'm not crazy about the way the Cal's look, but
                    > that's obviously just a personal thing, and the Seawind, while a great
                    > choice, is a heavy displacement full keel, which I had decided against.

                    Personal choice...yes. I happen to like the lines of the Cal series at 29 ft
                    or greater. I also like anchovies on my pizza, most dint..:)

                    > On my short list along with the Yankee were: Lippincott 30, Sabre 30,
                    > Aloha 28, Albin Cumulus, Nimble 30, Sabre 28, Hallberg Rassy Monsun,
                    > and a few others. I originally also had the Southern Cross 31, Sea
                    > Sprite 27/28 and 30, various Cape Dories, and even an Eastern Ho 31 -
                    > but decided against full keels this time around and dropped them from
                    > the list.

                    Some of those were on the list, but as I started sorting them out, the price
                    points did not favor my wallet.

                    > On the short list virtually all the boat compromised seaworthiness in
                    > favour of comfort or speed except for the Hallberg Rassy (which is
                    > somewhat slow) and the Yankee (which does everything well except
                    > interior accommodations).

                    From what I have read and looked at in terms of pics this is the only drawback
                    of the Yankee. But that can be changed as long as you leave the bulkheads
                    alone. That's whats nice about the Albin, all wood work, no fiberglass pan
                    inside like the Pearson for example.

                    > I don't know where you're located, but if it's anywhere near Alabama
                    > you might have a look at Quill Brigg's boat - Independence - Hull #1.

                    See that's part of the problem as I'm located on Lake Ontario on the north
                    shore. We tend to look at US boats due to price points. But most boats are
                    very far away. Flights departing from our shores are ridiculously expensive
                    in comparison to local flights for you lads. Once you cross a boarder the
                    cost doubles. Then again we have reasonable health care but that's a totally
                    different issue best left alone..:)

                    > She's been repowered with a diesel and appears to be in pretty good
                    > shape. She needs cosmetic work, of course, and a jib (oddly enough),
                    > but he's asking a fair price ($15K) with that factored in. You can
                    > reach him at boatdocktor@..., although he's busy. I trust that
                    > he doesn't mind me passing this on, after all he contacted me since he
                    > wants to sell his boat!

                    Interesting.

                    > Good luck in your search - let us know what you find!

                    Sure will, I mostly lurk and listen on various lists and its amazing the stuff
                    you can learn simply by listening to all the chatter.

                    This list for example is a very good one. Noise to signal ratio is very low.

                    Best regards and thanks for your comments.

                    --
                    /ch
                  • Owen McCall
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 14, 2008
                      Were is the S&S 30 on your list?  Or the P-J 30?  Both are S&S designs and both what you say you like.  There's a very nice P-J 30 on Yachtworld right now.  Check it out.

                      Owen

                    • chris h
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 15, 2008
                        On Friday 14 November 2008 11:25:33 Owen McCall wrote:

                        >. Check it out.

                        Looked but couldnt find it. Would you have a URL for that listing?

                        Best regards and thanks

                        --
                        /ch
                      • Owen McCall
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 15, 2008
                          here it is

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 15, 2008
                            On Saturday 15 November 2008 20:40:22 Owen McCall wrote:
                            > here it is

                            Got it. Extremely nice but a little to rich for my blood and definitely more
                            setup for racing then cruising.

                            Many thanks

                            --
                            /ch
                          • jsdozy
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 16, 2008
                                Personally, I'd be wary about buying a boat from anyone who identified Sparkman & Stephens as "Sportsmans Stevens". Just a thought.

                              JS

                              reach him at boatdocktor@ gmail.com, although he's busy. I trust that