Hood River Yankee vs Yankee Yachts

  • gjleighton
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2008
      So I am a fan of the Yankee 30 (a current San Juan 7.7 owner) and have
      been looking around the area, done some research on the boats and am
      wondering if within the yankee 30 community the two productions of the
      boat are viewed as equals? that is the Hood River (Heritage) and the
      original Yankee Yachts (CA).

      Also wondering if anyone has retro-fitted a shower on their Yankee 30?
      Or if anyone who know the boat thinks it would be possible.

      Thanks
      Gil
    • Steve Botts
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2008
        The Yankee Yachts factory in Southern California was noted for careful work in laying up the hulls.  Fiberglass work was done in a temperature/humidity controlled environment, resin to glass ratios carefully monitored, etc.  There's a letter from Yankee explaining all of this here:

        http://storm.prohosting.com/yankee30/Yankee_Yachts_Letter_4-9-71.pdf

        As a result, you never hear of serious structural problems or blistering on the Yankee factory boats.  I'm not sure whether the same controls were in place at the Heritage facility.   -Steve