owners manual?

  • papaspot1
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2007
      Does anyone know where I can get an owner's manual for the Yankee 30?
      Also, I'm thinking about cutting out all the balsa cored decks (because
      of leaks, soft spots, etc.) and replacing them with marine ply, then
      replacing all the nonskid areas with teak. If anyone has had experience
      with this please share your views, comments, suggestions, etc. Thanks.
    • James Larsen
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2007
        Re: [yankee30] owners manual? Hi, I have a 28’ Yankee that had leaked along the toe rail and nearly all deck hardware locations.  One of the beauties of the balsa core is that it is installed with the grain running perpendicular to the deck, the water will not tend to wick across the grain.  Thereby keeping the water somewhat localized to where it is entering.  I removed all hardware and the rail - routered, dug, chiseled, and drilled out with a bent, sharpened nail  all the wet balsa and allowed it to dry several months in the summer (I also put a heater inside).  I then filled with epoxy and micro-balloons all the voids,  sanded, and repainted and remounted the hardware with polyurethane caulking and backing plates made from 3/8” micarta all I had removed.  She doesn’t leak a drop.  Good luck, Jim (Lars) Larsen

      • richardbrunt@uniserve.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2007

          Check this out for a detailed description.  It is a BIG job!!!  Spot repairs may be easier.

          deck repair

           If you screw teak into the deck you will create hundreds of potential leaks and add a lot of weight.

          Regards,

          Richard Brunt