Re: Deck drain

  • earlhicks2003
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 3, 2007
      Steve, My boat didn't have a toerail when I purchased her, so I'm
      getting ready to place one. I've studied as many pictures on this
      site as possible to get some detail, and noticed the toerail is
      continuous from bow to stern. I've always wondered how the deck water
      would drain with this layout. The original deck drain must have been
      the answer, but like you mentioned, later hulls such as mine (104)
      doesn't have a thru-deck drain. Could you, or anyone else send
      pictures of their toerail, specifically the oblong slot cut in. I the
      toerail is cut, or notched all the way to the bottom I would be
      concerned that the edge of the deck would be exposed to weather. Any
      advise would help.

      Thanks in advance.
    • wdemeter
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 3, 2007
        I will be happy to take some shots of the rail drains when I go to the
        boat next week. I was just looking at them Saturday, and they ARE cut
        out down to the deck. Where did get your toe rails?
        Bill
        --- In yankee30@yahoogroups.com, "earlhicks2003" <hickse@...> wrote:

        > Steve, My boat didn't have a toerail when I purchased her, so I'm
        > getting ready to place one. I've studied as many pictures on this
        > site as possible to get some detail, and noticed the toerail is
        > continuous from bow to stern. I've always wondered how the deck water
        > would drain with this layout. The original deck drain must have been
        > the answer, but like you mentioned, later hulls such as mine (104)
        > doesn't have a thru-deck drain. Could you, or anyone else send
        > pictures of their toerail, specifically the oblong slot cut in. I the
        > toerail is cut, or notched all the way to the bottom I would be
        > concerned that the edge of the deck would be exposed to weather. Any
        > advise would help.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.

      • earlhicks2003
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 3, 2007
          Thanks, My 'toerails' are coming out of a 6/4 12" x 8' piece of teak.
          That's as far as I've gotten.
        • Steve Botts
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 3, 2007

            I found a couple of photos that show the holes.  The toerail modification on Seawitch was made by Bob Boynton, who originally had the now plugged drain holes w/lines running inside of the hull.  Native Son with the light blue hull shows the hole clearly just below the winch.  On my boat, Amigo, these slots are about ½”  X 2”.

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

          • wdemeter
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 7, 2007
              I'm glad you brought this up. It made me look closer at the drain cut
              outs (scuppers?). I found I they needed maintenance. First, let me
              say I have hull #18, 1971. She had the problematic through deck drain
              holes outside of the cockpit. I have plugged those drains, and am not
              sure I need to replace them with anything, as the water seems to drain
              forward anyway. The outside of the toe rail (3/8", probably originally
              1/2") sits on the hull. The inside of the rail is rabbeted out to
              accommodate the deck. The drain opening is 3-1/2" long and 3/4" high,
              the bottom being flush with the deck. A bevel is cut back to the
              bottom of the deck to accommodate caulking. I'm not sure this is the
              best idea, as failure of the caulking would allow the bevel to drive
              water directly to the edge of the deck. In fact, I found the caulking
              was failing on one of the openings. I took pictures of the rail. One
              shows the caulk removed from the beveled grove. Others show the
              location of the two openings as measured from the lifeline stanchion in
              front of the cockpit. If anyone wants to see them, e-mail me directly.
              I don't know if Yankee changed the position of the openings when they
              eliminated the aft through deck drain. It appears they changed the
              size (3-1/2" by 3/4" vs. 5-1/2" by 1/2").