outboard

  • lynnharrell_98
    Message 1 of 7 , May 8, 2007
      I am installing an outboard on my Yankee 30 to use before I rip out
      the un-reliable Atomic 4.

      My outboard is a 4-stroke Yamaha 9.9 which weighs about 100 pounds.
      Granted that I use a backing plate with my mount, should I have any
      weight trouble? Has anybody done this before?

      Thanks,
      Bob Hall
    • Steve Botts
      Message 2 of 7 , May 8, 2007

        Aside from the ugly factor, it should work……as long as the prop stays in the water.  -Steve

        --
        Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

      • jsdozy
        Message 3 of 7 , May 8, 2007
          Whatever you do, don't throw that "unreliable" atomic four away. Get on the A-four chat room and chances are someone will pay you top dollar for it. On the other hand, if you got on the A-4 list and posted your problems, chances are excellent that with the list's help that kitten would be purring before you could say "Purina".

          JS

          Message 4 of 7 , May 8, 2007
            I lurk on this web site, as well as on other owner's groups to see what
            is going on with the older boats.

            Matter of fact, I surveyed Yankee 30 #131 about a month ago.

            The idea of putting an outboard engine on the transom may sound good,
            but will do several things.

            The transom was not designed to carry the weight and thrust of the
            engine, so the transom will have to be reinforced. The design of this
            type of reinforcement is best left to a Naval Architect. The bracket
            must be designed or adapted so the outboard's thrust is at the correct
            angle. The outboard will probably have to be a long shaft to get the
            propeller far enough underwater so as it does not cavitate. Also, the
            propeller should probably be changed as most small outboards are not
            designed to push around a boat displacing 5 tons! Putting 100 pounds
            that far aft will increase weather helm in heavy winds, so you may wish
            to balance that by adding compensating weight forward.

            For safety's sake, make sure you get a set of remote controls so you
            can operate shift and throttle from a normal helm position and not have
            to scramble aft to control the engine.

            Finally, the resale value of the boat will decrease by several thousand
            dollars, probably enough to get the Atomic 4 in good running condition
            or replace the engine with a rebuilt. Your better bet would be to bite
            the bullet and look at a small diesel, possibly a Beta Marine Diesel
            <http://www.betamarinenc.com/> which will drop into the same engine
            beds the Atomic 4 uses. Fuel tanks rill require cleaning and the prop
            will need to be changed.

            Good sailing,

            Jack Mackinnon, AMS®-SMS
            (Senior Marine Surveyor)
            PO Box 335
            San Lorenzo, CA 94580
            510-276-4351
            510-909-6956 cell
            510-276-9237 fax

            On May 8, 2007, at 8:41 PM, lynnharrell_98 wrote:

            > I am installing an outboard on my Yankee 30 to use before I rip out
            > the un-reliable Atomic 4.
            >
            > My outboard is a 4-stroke Yamaha 9.9 which weighs about 100 pounds.
            > Granted that I use a backing plate with my mount, should I have any
            > weight trouble? Has anybody done this before?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Bob Hall

          • Peter Jones
            Message 5 of 7 , May 8, 2007
              I would second the opinion that putting an outboard on a Yankee 30 is a poor idea. Face the music and repair or replace the inboard. In any kind of chop or in the ocean the prop will constantly come out of the water. Very poor solution.

              Peter Jones
              Peter Jones Computer Consulting
              415- 752-7239

            • richardbrunt@uniserve.com
              Message 6 of 7 , May 9, 2007

                Make sure this Yamaha is the high thrust sailboat version with the extremely long shaft and the right prop or you may be underpowered. If it is this version of the engine it is an incredible little motor that will provide plenty of power in moderate conditions.  Forget powering to windward in 30 knots – it isn’t going to happen.  But who would want to? Use a swinging bracket (properly rated for the high thrust outboard) to get the prop down really low.

                I must respectfully disagree with another writer - unless the transom on your Y30 is especially weak, there is probably no problem mounting the little Yamaha 9.9.  The force generated is not that high.  This engine is installed on lightly built inshore craft all the time with no modifications.  The large backing plate is of course important.  Don’t be tempted to use large washers.  You can call a naval architect if you like but I am quite sure the effect on weather helm will be negligible. Just have a big guy sit on the back railing next time you are sailing and you will see.

                The angle may be adjustable with the Yamaha motor – it has locking points for just this reason (at least mine did).  If you do need to change the angle this is not done by modifying the bracket! You use a boss (wooden block shaped to the contour of the transom) between the bracket and the transom. There are commercial brackets readily available that are rated for this engine. The Yamaha dealer can tell you exactly what you need.

                As mentioned, an outboard will reduce the value of your boat, but it is drastically cheaper for you (especially if you already have it).  A new diesel installed can run close to $10,000.  The diesel will only increase the value of your boat by about $5,000.  So economically it does not make sense, unless you can find a great deal on a used inboard and do it yourself (40-70 hours work). You will gain a huge storage locker where the engine was. As a final advantage, in case of problems you can take it home or to the mechanic in your trunk.

                The outboard will cavitate in rough seas, no matter how deep the shaft.  It is a good solution for motoring in calm waters or getting in an out of the slip only.  It is inferior to the inboard in most ways except cost.  It’s a tough call.  I had a 26’, 5000lb Folkboat with an outboard and it was ideal.  But the Y30 is better off with an inboard.  People I know sailed a 15,000 lb Bristol Channel Cutter with this Yamaha engine for years, but eventually installed a diesel when they could afford it.  On the other hand another friend of mine has been sailing an engineless junk rigged dory around the world for 4 years.  There is no one answer for everyone.

                Regards,

                Richard Brunt

                Message 7 of 7 , May 9, 2007
                  Bob,
                  I put an Evenrude 6 longshaft on my boat, it didn't have an engine when I bought the boat and I wanted to sail it while I looked for and installed a diesel.
                  Here is what I found.
                       1,  The transom is plenty strong.
                       2.  The engine worked good enough , but slow, in a flat sea.
                       3.   You want an outboard bracket that will get the engine down low, will allow you to pull the engine out of the water and that will allow you to align the prop.  With some bracket alterations all that is possible.
                       4.   Don't expect steller performance out of all this because the hobbyhorseing will bring the prop out of the water and the engine will not produce enough forward thrust to get you through much of a chop to weather.
                    I found an outboard good for keeping the boat sailing while I worked on an inboard  installation but am glad to be rid of it!
                  Bill(Andiamo)

                  lynnharrell_98 <lynnharrell_98@...> wrote:
                  I am installing an outboard on my Yankee 30 to use before I rip out
                  the un-reliable Atomic 4.

                  My outboard is a 4-stroke Yamaha 9.9 which weighs about 100 pounds.
                  Granted that I use a backing plate with my mount, should I have any
                  weight trouble? Has anybody done this before?

                  Thanks,
                  Bob Hall

                  Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.