Re: Cabin sole cracking

  • wdemeter
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
      Thanks for your reply. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. The
      cracking is occurring in the fiberglass (plastic?) liner which serves
      as the cabin floor. I don't think a grounding would affect it. The
      cracks completely penetrate the liner and are about 6 to 8 inches
      long. I suspect they are a result of stress from people continually
      stepping off the companionway ladder onto the floor at that point--
      In yankee30@yahoogroups.com, Wilhelm Hesse <boote-muelheim@...> wrote:

      > What kind of cracking / pattern of cracking? Any hard spots /
      surface crazing from costant flexing of hull/keel (wrong storage)?
      Maybe a grounding? Or just a tight radius of the edge / hot molding?
      A repair can only be successfull when you know the reason for failure.

      > Wilhelm

      mc=022222* [http://www.pc-sicherheit.web.de/freescan/?mc=022222]

    • Wilhelm Hesse
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2006

        As I remember the liner is part of the inner hull structure and strength. If there are no glassed/bonded in reinforcing frames or floor boards, the liner has to take all the loads. This is the especially crucial area - after end of the keel which tends to move upwards when grounding or wrong storage. Please try to look under the liner whether you can find the reason for cracking or some sign of failure. If the cracking is just because unsupported flexing fibreglass area or boathook damage - consider teak cabin sole layup!

        Wilhelm