RE: [yankee30] Comparison of sailing qualities, MKI/MKII/MKIII

  • Keehn, Dane
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2013

      I cannot speak for the other rigs… but my MkIII is more or less balanced.  And, btw my MkIII’s rig is taller than the MkII, if I am correct.

      I do have a related issue, which I would like to throw out there for the more experienced folks to answer.  While my boat is balanced on starboard tack, she is not on Port tack (of course, talking about going to wind here)… I actually have a leeward helm on Port tack.  I am still tweaking the stays to see if that helps… but I have a feeling it won’t.  Any thoughts?

      dane

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2013
        I have sailed all the various varieties of Y 30 rigs and all will balance well when tuned up and adjusted properly. As to different characteristics on opposing tacks, you need to analyze carefully. Sight down the rudder and skeg when hauled out or diving. Measure the distance from top of each upper shroud to deck. Sight up mast when sailing for bends and twists. Check that jib sheet leads are equal. Check that main sheet lead is centered or adjusted the same.

        Peter Jones
        Sent from my cell phone
        415-752-7239 business
        415-987-7239 cell

        On Aug 7, 2013, at 9:01 AM, "fooboa" <andvinco@...> wrote:

        I'm looking for a Yankee 30 in the puget sound area, after being impressed by the sailing abilities of my friend's MKII.

        Has anyone sailed the different versions of the boat and able to notice any differences underway? Specifically, the MKII has a taller rig and shorter boom, which would in theory move the CE forward and affect balance. My friend's MKII seems perfectly balanced, so did MKI's have some weather helm?

        I've searched the web about this topic, and I find plenty of people praising the sailing abilities of the Y30 with no mention of rig preference. So perhaps all three rig/ballast configurations worked great for the boat?

      • William Demeter
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2013
          I had the issue with unequal weather helm on port or starboard (can't recall which) when I bought my Yankee. It was fairly drastic, don't know how the PO's tolerated it (maybe that's why they sold the boat!)
          Retuned the rig, and it disappeared.
        • Keehn, Dane
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8, 2013

            Since I was just working on my rudder… I did notice that it was not in perfect alignment with the keel… but as it was just a hair out of whack… and as there wasn’t much of a difference between the two tacks previous to the hauling out, I decided to let it go.

            I am encouraged to hear your issue was dealt with by retuning the rig.  I will continue to tweak mine… starting with using the jib halyard to check the uppers  (I forgot about that technique) as Peter mentioned in an earlier e-mail.

            dane