RE: rudder post issues

  • Keehn, Dane
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2013
      Now that I have my ruder bearing fixed (thanks Chris!) I've got a follow up question. As I was working on my rudder I was sighting to see if my rudder was actually lined up vertically with the Keel (it's not exact, btw, but close enough)... and noticed that my propeller shaft comes out at an angle. That is, it is not in perfect alignment with the rudder and keel, but just out a couple of degrees to starboard. Is this the original design? Or is it out of alignment? (I definitely do fight my helm some when under motor.) Any knowledgeable help/ thoughts appreciated.
      Thanks,
      dane

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2013
        It's typical.  And it's because the engine is not on the center line.

        Tom
        Sent from my iPad

        Please use the new Yankee 30 Owners Association Forum which may be accessed from our new website at http://yankee30.org You'll be able to view and read threaded discussions. You can also include attachments with your postings. On your first visit select "Register" to specify login credentials. Then you'll be able to post to the forum. Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jack Mackinnon
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2013
          In many boats the shaft is slightly off center to allow the shaft to be pulled without pulling the rudder.

          Sent from my iPhone,

          Jack