Replacing mast hound

  • Carson Baker
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 21 4:16 PM
      Hi Yankees --

      I have two questions for anyone kind enough to answer:

      1) There is a mysterious fitting on the foredeck of my boat, and I have no clue what it's used for. I'm sure someone will know immediately what it is, but I'm new to this game, and can't seem to figure it out. I lay out my confusion in this YouTube video:

      2) I'm taking my mast down to replace all the rigging and one thing that caught my eye was a crack in the mast hound (some people call it a mast strap) for the baby stay. I'm sure it doesn't help that the mast hound is probably as old as the boat, but I think it cracked due to the tension not being applied in the same direction as the tang that comes off the mast hound.

      Here's a picture of what I mean: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/448021/mast-hound.jpg

      The crack runs vertically and is right where the tang meets the hound. Right where the green arrow ends in my diagram.

      So -- how do I fix this?

      Is it possible to buy a replacement mast hound just like this so I can reuse the holes? Anyone know where to find it?

      Do I need to get something fabricated?

      Should I just fill the holes and position a new mast hound six inches higher?

      Is it possible to repair the mast hound that I have? Should I take it to a welder? How stupid would it be to just fill the crack with JB-Weld?

      What would you do?

      Thanks very much in advance,
      Carson

    • Justin Craig

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 22 7:17 AM
            I think it's a swivel block base for a spin pole downhaul.  Looks like spring and block missing.

            Chris Loza

              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 22 7:59 AM
                Sorry, I don't understand.  You don't have a spinnaker?  Could there have been one originally?   It sure looks like a standing block base to me.  I had a 1962 Cal 30 that had all the old school spin gear including a nice toe stubber block used to downhaul the pole.  It was located in about the same spot as yours.

                Chris Loza

                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 22 9:23 AM
                    Ooops... Oh well, sorry.

                    Chris Loza

                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 22 4:32 PM
                        So the consensus seems like it's a spinnaker pole downhaul (foreguy) minus the block. Makes sense.

                        I don't think I'll ever be flying a spinnaker (let alone in heavy enough wind to need a downhaul), but I won't futz with taking the fitting out. I'm thinking it might have a future life as a fairlead for anchor rode so I can use a cabin top winch to help weigh anchor.

                        Thanks for the input, guys!

                        As for the mast hound, I'm going to drill out the rivets and take it to a welding shop. I don't think it's possible to weld it in place. Once it's repaired, I'm going to rivet it back in place with monel, which is what I think the original rivets were. They've really held up well.

                        Thanks,
                        Carson

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 22 4:59 PM
                          A spin pole downhaul is used in any wind condition to keep the pole from lifting and changing the leading edge of the spinnaker.  The original setup must have used a pole with a bridle to allow end for end gybes, which I rarely  see being used on boats lager than daysailors.  I personally liked the setup except the pole "seemed" harder to handle.

                          The PO must have thought it was harder to plug the holes than deal with sore toes.

                          Using it as a fairlead for the rode might not really helpful other than straining the fitting.  You might as well lead the rode straight to the mast winch with no bends in it.  It will be faster and neater.  Sea weed won't go through blocks well.

                          Personally I would plug the holes with a thick batch of epoxy and  call it good.

                          Keeping the slippery side down.

                          Chris Loza

                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 22 5:06 PM

                            And what is an “end gybe”?  that is a new term for me.

                            And btw… my opinion… keep the block.  But if you happen to have a spinnaker you are looking to get rid of, let me know.

                            dane

                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 22 5:15 PM
                              When the pole is released at the mast and attached to the sheet so that the pole is connected to the sail on both sides for a short moment until the pole is released on the other side and then attached to the mast fitting.  Basically flipping sides.  It eliminates the need to dip the pole under the forestay.

                              Chris Loza

                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 22 6:24 PM
                                  Most of the big boats do it that way because, I believe, of the weight of the pole.  It was real fast on the boats I raced on.  It was easier flying the kite, loose with no pole attached, dipping the pole under the forestay and onto the new guy.

                                  Christopher Loza
                                  popeyeloza@...
                                  2735 Rustic Glen
                                  Thousand Oaks, CA. 91362
                                  661-231-5327

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 22 6:57 PM
                                    Well my pole is rather heavy... Not not bad when gybing because the topping lift keeps it up as if it's weightless. The battle is getting it back on the mast after hooking into the new guy.

                                    Ok... Since you are giving me a tutorial and i'm going to try this... Wha is the technique to get that new guy into that little 2" slot on my pole that is now 12' away?

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 23 6:25 AM
                                      The way to do it is to have two lines off both lower corners.  One sheet and one guy.  Since the lazy guy is slack, while the sheet is under pressure, both coming off same corner, you grab the lazy guy with slack and take it to the mast with you so as soon as you release the pole from the mast you insert the slack guy.  At this point the pole is hooked to both unloaded guys and the sheets are being loaded which will make it easier to release the "new" lazy guy and stick that end of the pole to the mast.
                                      Does that make sense?  Hard to describe in an email.

                                      Chris Loza