spinnaker/genoa staysail?

  • b_boynton2000
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 12, 2012
      Hi guys,

      I was just going through some of my ship's papers and came across a copy of the original sales brochure for the Yankee. On the cover is a picture of a Yankee 30 with her spinnaker up (graphic of a firecracker on her sail) and also a smaller sail set behind the spinnaker. This sail is hoisted to the masthead with the clew sheeted down mid-deck, very high aspect. I can't tell where its tacked down to.

      This looks like fun, does anybody do this? I sometimes fly a genoa staysail that has a wire luff and is hoisted a little above the spreaders, its just like a little jib that I use when slightly off the wind, but not with the kite up, I guess I could except it is pretty heavy and flat.

      So does anybody fly a spinnaker staysail and if so, how big is it and how do you set it up?
    • Jack Mackinnon
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 12, 2012
        The spinnaker staysail tack should be 2' off the deck about 3' aft of the job tack with a halyard that leads to a mast sheave about half way between spinnaker halyard and pole lift sheave.

        Jack Mackinnon, AMS-SMS
        Senior Marine Surveyor

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Feb 12, 2012, at 15:04, "b_boynton2000" <b_boynton2000@...> wrote:

        Hi guys,

        I was just going through some of my ship's papers and came across a copy of the original sales brochure for the Yankee. On the cover is a picture of a Yankee 30 with her spinnaker up (graphic of a firecracker on her sail) and also a smaller sail set behind the spinnaker. This sail is hoisted to the masthead with the clew sheeted down mid-deck, very high aspect. I can't tell where its tacked down to.

        This looks like fun, does anybody do this? I sometimes fly a genoa staysail that has a wire luff and is hoisted a little above the spreaders, its just like a little jib that I use when slightly off the wind, but not with the kite up, I guess I could except it is pretty heavy and flat.

        So does anybody fly a spinnaker staysail and if so, how big is it and how do you set it up?

      • Carson Baker

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 12, 2012
            Jack, thanks for the reply but that's how I rig my genoa staysail, and actually I move the tack all around the foredeck, side to side, fore and aft in order to get the sail to draw well and not disrupt the genoa. what I want to know is how to rig the spinnaker staysail like the attached picture, and also what kind of dimensions are used. Like I said, my luff on the genoa staysail is wire and I set it up tight, I don't think (?) the sail in the picture has a wire luff.

            - Bob

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 12, 2012
              No, the spinnaker staysail usually has a small line for. Luff rope, not wire.

              Jack Mackinnon, AMS-SMS
              Senior Marine Surveyor

              Sent from my iPhone