Where are you tanks located?

  • Justin Craig
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 19, 2011
      Hi everyone,

      Winterhawk came with a 6gal Lectra-San unit for the head. I don't know much about it and want to use/make a standard holding tank with more capacity.
      Problem is where to locate it.
      I wonder where your tanks are located. How about batteries?
      Here is what I have:

      Fresh water;
      13-15 gal under port settee
      13-15 gal under starboard settee

      Fuel;
      12 gal under vee berth

      Holding:
      None, was 6 gal under port side of vee berth

      Batteries:
      one under engine cover, 2nd under pilots berth

      There was a Good Old Boat article a while back about making a holding tank from PVC tubing. It seems feasible to run 6feet of tubing forward just under the vee berth, use 2 45 degree elbows ann then another 6feet of tube running aft. There would be an inlet on the top tube and a outlet on the bottom tube, and vents too. I'm a bit skeptical, but using online calculators say that a 5"ID tube, 144 inches long converts to 48 Gallons. Wow! I'd be happy with half that. The benifit of using a 6" pipe is shallwo depth. This would allow me to add 2 drawers to under the vee berth on the port side. ( i need more storage)

      My other thought was custom fabing a fiberglass tank under the port settee, giving me 13-15 gal there. I'd then need to find a place to carry more fresh water...

      So, where are your tanks? Batteries?

    • Carson Baker
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 19, 2011
        Hey Justin,

        I've also been thinking about my tank locations, but I don't have any great insights at the moment. The PVC pipe holding tank sounds reasonable to me. I found some forum discussion on it, but I'd really like to read the original thing in Good Old Boat if you have the time to upload it.

        My tanks are, at present:

        8 gallon plastic water tank underneath V-berth.
        15 gallon plastic water tank under cockpit
        15 gallon stainless steel fuel tank under cockpit
        No holding tank.

        I have two (230ah) batteries in the V-berth.

        How are things coming with your boat? You need to keep posting to your blog!

        Take care,
        Carson

      • sbotts@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 19, 2011
          The beauty of the lectrasan is that you can pump it over board. No need
          for a holding tank.

          Steve Botts
          (via wireless)

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 19, 2011
            Thanks for the quick reply.
            Things are coming along with Winterhawk, stove is in place, I destroyed an dorm style refrigerator and installed it in the ice box, saved a lot of $$ over buying a cold plate set up. still lots of wood work to do inside, toe rails out, life lines. The misses HATES sailing with out life lines.

            I'll sit down and update the blog soon, I swear.

            I thought about moving my fuel tank under the cockpit and to free up room, for the holding tank there. Just trying to what I have vs custom fabbing all new tanks.

            I found a different volume calc, this one says the 12 feet of pipe would hold apx 17.5 gals.

            Justin

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 19, 2011
                For 5" ID pipe, here's what I get by extruding the area of a circle:

                A = pi*r*r
                A = 3.1416 * 2.5 inches * 2.5 inches
                A = 19.635 sq. inches
                V = A * length
                V = 19.635 sq. inches * 12 feet * 12 inches/feet
                V = 2827.44 cubic inches
                V = 2827.44 cubic inches * .4329 gallons / 100 cubic inches
                V = 12.24 gallons

                What calculator are you using that gives 17.5 gallons? Maybe your units are wrong or something?

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 19, 2011
                  Ratitaneng.com

                  Steve Botts
                  (via wireless)

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 21, 2011
                    I would investigate the Lectra San, before writing if off. Goggle "lectra san marine sanitation treatment system" and you will get lots of info, including owners manuals, power consumption, etc. Apparently, one drawback is that some places have 0 discharge regulations. If this doesn't apply to you, Lectra San sounds like a good way to go. A dock mate just moved his boat to a live aboard marina and had to install a Lectra San unit to get in.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 22, 2011
                      Amazing how different the tank locations are!
                      I have a holding tank (bag system) next to the engine (against the hull). I would probably have space for a eight gallon holding tank if I had it custom made. Had 23 gallons of fuel centered under the cockpit, with about 10 gallons of water for the galley next to it (to Starboard). Replaced the fuel tank with a 6 gallon tank. Have about ten gallons of water for the head under the V berth. Both batteries are under the settee.

                    • Luman Moody
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 4, 2011
                        Yankee 30 group:

                        Regret I must withdraw from the Group: the sale of "Fast Lady" fell through
                        unexpectedly.

                        Luman Moody

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 6, 2011
                          Hi Justin,
                          Maya's tanks and batteries are located in the following locations:
                          Under V-berth: 13-gallon holding tank, 5 gallon water tank for the head
                          Settee by engine compartment on port: 2 batteries
                          Under the cockpit: 20 gallon water tank, and 15 gallon fuel tank.

                          Hope that helps!
                          ~Melissa