Re: [yankee30] Refit write-up posted

  • mapkelp@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1 10:31 AM
      Mr. Balmer,
      What brand are your new opening portlights?
      Do you know of anyone who has used/found a manufacturer for glass portlights?
      Did the slight curvature of the cabin trunk present any problems?

    • subaquaone
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1 3:37 PM
        --- In yankee30@yahoogroups.com, mapkelp@... wrote:

        > Mr. Balmer,
        > What brand are your new opening portlights?
        > Do you know of anyone who has used/found a manufacturer for glass
        portlights?
        > Did the slight curvature of the cabin trunk present any problems?

        Hi--
        Those portlights are Bomar 3000's. Here's a link to the manufacturer:
        http://www.pompanette.com/home

        Note that these portlights are available from internet distributors
        at significant discounts.

        It looks like Pompanette, if they're the parent company, also
        distributes Hood. I know they make glass portlights.

        And then there's also:
        http://www.newfoundmetals.com/

        I went with the acrylic portlights to keep the costs of the project
        down. No problems with acrylic except of course that they can be
        scratched if you use the wrong materials on them.

        I don't remember a problem dealing with the slight curvature of the
        cabintop. The forward lights are not as long, so the issue with them
        is probably not as critical. On the aft portlights, they are pretty
        big, but I don't remember an issue.

        You could also go with somewhat smaller aft portlights. As I look at
        the original S&S plans, the lights in the drawings are somewhat
        smaller than the ones I installed, so you'd be right in line with the
        original idea if you went that way.

        (By the way, a copy of the original plans are -- or at least were
        when I got them 6 years ago or so-- available from the Sparkman &
        Stephens office in New York. They had a guy who worked part time as
        an archivist who knew where all the old plans were. Sold me a copy of
        the basic plans--- $35. Funny thing-- I had a question about
        potentially installing a removeable forestay, and one of their
        architects was nice enough to take the call, talk to me about it
        briefly, and then hand draw a sketch for me of where to install it,
        where the running backstays would go, and what sort of reinforcing
        plate would be needed. Labeled his hand drawing with his initials--
        "B.J." -- which I guess was Bruce Johnson, their chief designer?
        Maybe he took a few minutes out from designing one of these to lend a
        hand:
        http://www.sparkmanstephens.com/design/boards.html
        Very nice of him. As soon as I'm in the market for a 100ft luxury
        cruiser I'll give them a call.)

        Back on portlights--One thing to consider if you went with glass is
        the thickness of the sides of the cabintop. As I remember, it was
        thinner than I expected, and some of those glass portlights I've seen
        in boat shows are pretty thick. So you may want to check that aspect
        out as well.
      • richardbrunt@uniserve.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1 6:26 PM

          Mr. Balmer,

          What is the name of your vessel and where is she?

          Regards,

          Richard Brunt

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1 7:31 PM
            Hi Richard Brunt,

            The name of the boat is currently "Kestrel". She's in the San
            Francisco Bay Area. I'm in the process of finalizing arrangements
            with a broker so if all works out she'll be at a broker's dock in the
            very near future. Once the arrangements are set up I'll post the
            information here. If you're interested in checking out the boat vis a
            vis projects on your own boat or for anything else, the broker should
            be able to oblige.

            Any technical questions about projects or the like I'd be happy to
            answer here.

            "Not really a sales guy"--
            George B.

            --- In yankee30@yahoogroups.com, <richardbrunt@...> wrote:

            > Mr. Balmer,
            >

            > What is the name of your vessel and where is she?
            >

            > Regards,
            >

            > Richard Brunt

          • samsshober
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2 7:49 AM
              FYI: I recently replaced a gasket on the opening port in my head,
              which is the only opening port on my boat ('72 - hull #47). The make
              is Fuller Brush Co. I found their website and was able to order the
              gasket. My point is, if someone is considering replacing ports, this
              may be a source. I would definitely consider Fuller if & when i go
              to all opening ports.

              SS

              --- In yankee30@yahoogroups.com, "subaquaone" <georgebalmer@...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              it,
              > where the running backstays would go, and what sort of reinforcing
              > plate would be needed. Labeled his hand drawing with his initials--
              > "B.J." -- which I guess was Bruce Johnson, their chief designer?
              > Maybe he took a few minutes out from designing one of these to
              lend a
              > hand:
              > http://www.sparkmanstephens.com/design/boards.html
              > Very nice of him. As soon as I'm in the market for a 100ft luxury
              > cruiser I'll give them a call.)
              >
              > Back on portlights--One thing to consider if you went with glass
              is
              > the thickness of the sides of the cabintop. As I remember, it was
              > thinner than I expected, and some of those glass portlights I've
              seen
              > in boat shows are pretty thick. So you may want to check that

            • Dave_Benjamin
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2 4:02 PM
                Fuller is better than some of the other plastic ports I've seen. I
                had a few in a previous boat. I've had good luck dealing with
                indistrial supply places that specialize in seals and gasket.
                There's an excellent one in Seattle that had a perfect gasket for a
                40 year old port I was working on.

              • richardbrunt@uniserve.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 5 8:39 PM

                  Hi George,

                  If you still have not listed with a broker let me know.  I’ll run it past a guy I know who may be in the market for the Y30. Maybe you could save the 10%.

                  href="http://www.pompanette.com/home">http://www.pompanet te.com/home> te.com/home

                  href="http://www.newfoundmetals.com/">http://www.newfound metals.com/> metals.com/