Searching old forum/Genoa tracks

  • WilliamD
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 27 2:15 PM
      Tried to find the discussion on re-bedding the genoa tracks on the old message board. Didn't find a way to search. Is there a way? Don't want to re-hash the issue if I can avoid it.
    • justin craig
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 27 2:19 PM
        I just did mine with butyl tape. In fact I've done all the deck hardware so far with it, and the port lights too. No leaks.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 28 10:37 AM
          Hi Justin:
          Did you use new T tracks, or the Yankee system with a flat track supported by a piece of teak (used as a spacer)?
          Against my better judgment, I reused that system and bedded it in caulk a few years ago, and now it's leaking again. I'm planning on getting new T Track and using Butyl this time. My only concern is that the T Track will not conform to the arc toward the stern. I seem to remember that some have used T track, but can't retrieve the old files.
          Thanks,
          Bill

          --- In yankee30@yahoogroups.com, justin craig <endeavor64@...> wrote:

          > I just did mine with butyl tape. In fact I've done all the deck hardware so
          > far with it, and the port lights too. No leaks.
          >
          > http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware
          >
          > On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 2:15 PM, WilliamD <WDemeter@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Tried to find the discussion on re-bedding the genoa tracks on the old
          > > message board. Didn't find a way to search. Is there a way? Don't want to
          > > re-hash the issue if I can avoid it.

        • Peter Jones
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 28 10:47 AM

            Hi Bill,

            I recently replaced the original Yankee track with 1.25 inch track from Garhauer. This of course required replacing the cars as well. If you want the original bend it can be done by enlarging the existing holes a bit for the new fasteners and pushing the new bolts in at intervals so as to bend the track and then go back and fill in the empty bolt holes you skipped while accomplishing the bend. The T track has a trough on the bottom designed for caulk. I think I used the infamous 5200. No problems.

            Peter Jones

            Peter Jones Computer Consulting

            peterlwj@...

            415-752-7239

            415-987-7239 cell

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 28 1:49 PM
              Well I'm not sure what I used.
              The boat was stripped by the po, so I just got boxes of hardware.

              The tracks I have are low profile T shaped with a groove on the bottom side that contacts the deck for sealing reasons.

              They were fairly straight with only a slight arc to them. They bolted down fine after I used a bigger mallet.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 29 9:35 AM
                Thanks Peter:
                Why did you go with the larger track instead of the 1"?

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 29 9:50 AM
                  Sounds like the PO upgraded to T Track. Lucky you! Though...the thought of sifting through the boxes of hardware you describe (which you didn't remove)makes me shudder! In any case, seems like bending the T track won't be an issue.
                  Thanks Guys!

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 29 10:00 AM

                    The original cars would not run on 1 “ T track and the cars available for 1” track have specifications (load strength etc) that are not beefy enough for the kind of sailing I do in SF Bay and on the Northern California Coast.