A few songs....

  • Bob Gelman
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 20, 2013
                      My daughter,  Annelyse,  took up the guitar a few years ago.  She sent me a link to a few demo songs she recently made  (she writes the songs, sings and plays the guitar) with a drummer.  I thought they sounded pretty good!

                      After years of uploading hundreds of songs to the group with me playing PSR's,  I thought some of you would be curious to hear how the music has filtered thru my offspring  ;)

                            https://soundcloud.com/shoulderbladesdemos/

                                                 Cheers,

                                                             Bob
    • oldefool
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 20, 2013

        Hello Bob

        Innovatory; I formed a strong feeling of integrity, depth.

        Compositions, Lyric, having something to say, as distinct

        from some modern music ,being merely the constant

        meaningless repetition of the same half dozen words.

        That's happily not the case here, as these performances, &

        words have a comprehensiveness, a unity of purpose and most

        of all, a rounded integrated message.

        Liked the dual `bass & drums' backing, rather than a

        multiplicity of instrumentation. Personally, Bass/Drums have

        always appealed to me as an excellent backing

        ( probably owing to my early interest in '50's Modern Jazz)

        Loved the Guitar playing, never over exuberant, profound

        without being forced & at the right volume ( in my opinion) acting

        as a positive embellishment to the flowing ethereal vocal.

        Yes, ethereal, but not solely in the delicate sense but rather in the

        Mysterious, Otherworldly, Enigmatic & unquestionably, spot on.

        A singer & voice cannot be faked : it's right or it's not &

        here the listener is convinced the Singer has the musical gift.

        Very much enjoyed these 3 different Compositions.

        JON  DOV

        PS My old hearing not being what it was!, there were

        very isolated,(say a negligible 5% of time) occasional increases in

        drum volume, where I almost lost the words but not to get out

        of context, only occasional `heavy drums' that's me...

        young audiences would say the drum volume is perfect.. &

        I'd agree 95% of the time!! Great Drummer !!

        --- In yamaha-psr-songs@yahoogroups.com, Bob Gelman <bobgelman@...> wrote:

        > My daughter, Annelyse, took up the guitar a few years ago. She sent me a link to a few demo songs she recently made (she writes the songs, sings and plays the guitar) with a drummer. I thought they sounded pretty good!
        > After years of uploading hundreds of songs to the group with me playing PSR's, I thought some of you would be curious to hear how the music has filtered thru my offspring ;)
        > https://soundcloud.com/shoulderbladesdemos/
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Bob

      • Bob Gelman
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 20, 2013
                                     Thanks for the thoughtful "review"  Jon !  I've forwarded to Annelyse and I'm sure she'll enjoy reading it !

                                                             Cheers,

                                                                           Bob

          To: yamaha-psr-songs@yahoogroups.com
          From: oldefool@...
          Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 19:54:03 +0000
          Subject: [yamaha-psr-songs] Re: A few songs....

          Hello Bob

          Innovatory; I formed a strong feeling of integrity, depth.

          Compositions, Lyric, having something to say, as distinct

          from some modern music ,being merely the constant

          meaningless repetition of the same half dozen words.

          That's happily not the case here, as these performances, &

          words have a comprehensiveness, a unity of purpose and most

          of all, a rounded integrated message.

          Liked the dual `bass & drums' backing, rather than a

          multiplicity of instrumentation. Personally, Bass/Drums have

          always appealed to me as an excellent backing

          ( probably owing to my early interest in '50's Modern Jazz)

          Loved the Guitar playing, never over exuberant, profound

          without being forced & at the right volume ( in my opinion) acting

          as a positive embellishment to the flowing ethereal vocal.

          Yes, ethereal, but not solely in the delicate sense but rather in the

          Mysterious, Otherworldly, Enigmatic & unquestionably, spot on.

          A singer & voice cannot be faked : it's right or it's not &

          here the listener is convinced the Singer has the musical gift.

          Very much enjoyed these 3 different Compositions.

          JON  DOV

          PS My old hearing not being what it was!, there were

          very isolated,(say a negligible 5% of time) occasional increases in

          drum volume, where I almost lost the words but not to get out

          of context, only occasional `heavy drums' that's me...

          young audiences would say the drum volume is perfect.. &

          I'd agree 95% of the time!! Great Drummer !!

          --- In yamaha-psr-songs@yahoogroups.com, Bob Gelman <bobgelman@...> wrote:

          > My daughter, Annelyse, took up the guitar a few years ago. She sent me a link to a few demo songs she recently made (she writes the songs, sings and plays the guitar) with a drummer. I thought they sounded pretty good!
          > After years of uploading hundreds of songs to the group with me playing PSR's, I thought some of you would be curious to hear how the music has filtered thru my offspring ;)
          > https://soundcloud.com/shoulderbladesdemos/
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Bob

        • brian haylett
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 21, 2013
            And how nice to hear from Jon after all this time!

            Brian

            To: yamaha-psr-songs@yahoogroups.com
            From: oldefool@...
            Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 19:54:03 +0000