QUICK AND EASY: Page Turner USB FootSwitch ?

  • Bob Gelman
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2013
                   Hi Scott,

                               The saga continues..............

                                            I'm not concerned about support for XT.  It is very stable now.  This setup is going to be off line and "dedicated" to reading music sheet files  (I have a bunch of these <$100 ThinkPads so I suffer no loss keeping it exclusively for this use).

                                             When I saw I'd have to pay close to $15 to ship the Footime I got inspired to "take another look".  In this case I discovered that Adobe Reader 7 has a quick and cheap solution built in.  I went to PREFERENCES and under FULL SCREEN I found a box that lets you control page turns with a mouse click.   I simply plugged in a mouse and put it on the floor (took OUT the track ball to disable tracking) and use my foot to advance the pages with one of the mouse buttons  (I've got the mouse on a bit of non-slip shelf lining (rubber mesh).   I'll use this setup for a while and then probably just wire in a dedicated "musician's foot switch" to the mouse contacts for forward advance   (I can reach up to the notebook PC's back arrow to go backward if I ever want that  -- but I rarely play music backward ;)   ).

                                                               Bob

      PS:  Shipping on this no cost fix was ZERO , ha ha

      To: yamaha-psr-styles@yahoogroups.com
      From: scott_langholff@...
      Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 01:26:19 -0800
      Subject: Re: [yamaha-psr-styles] Page Turner USB FootSwitch ?

      Bob

      I realize that adobe etc will allow you to rotate the music itself, but, what I was referring to is everything else about your computer screen including the individual pdf files whether fake books or individual lead sheets are kind of hard to read as all those titles will be at a 90 degree angle.  If you're just sticking in one book and spend the night then it probably is no big deal to you, but I use mostly single page lead sheets that I got out of a fake book, scanned or whatever.  I've got thousands of those and trying to look up those files without a screen tilt is very uncomfortable to the neck and would certainly look pretty weird in public in my case. But really it's the comfort here.

      So what you're talking about here with older laptops I agree with you and that's what I've been using. The only thing I am concerned about at this time is none of the new laptops will open flat, they have a widescreen which really cuts down on the size of the music, there will be blank space on the top and or bottom. Also take into account that windows xp will no longer get support starting either this year or next.  Those older laptops with the features that work well on the side pretty much uses xp.

      Scott

      From: norm.ruttle@...
      Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 17:48:55 -0500
      Subject: Re: [yamaha-psr-styles] Page Turner USB FootSwitch ? [2 Attachments]

      [Attachment(s) from Norm Ruttle included below]
      Hi Bob  -  Couple of pictures of my setup. I use the BiLiPro Foottime page turner – works just great – about $50.  -  Norm

      Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:38 AM
      Subject: [yamaha-psr-styles] Page Turner USB FootSwitch ?

                    I finally got around to testing my idea for using an old IBM Thinkpad PC as a .pdf music reader.  I was inspired by the 64gb  thumb drive I found for $30 ;)  This isn't a picture of my setup, but it's what I had in mind:

                  The screen is 13" and I can actually see/read the music displayed (unlike my Kindle, which is too small to be usable.  For Fakebooks with songs on a single page there is no problem.  I can flip to a following page with the arrow keys but I'd prefer a footswitch.  For those who didn't see it, this rather amusing video is NOT what I want to end up with:

                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOMIBdM6N7Q&feature=player_embeddedded

                 So, while I do have a bit of electronics (ham radio) background the thought of hacking a USB keyboard or numeric  keypad to some footswitches isn't very appealing at the moment.  Your feedback on the alternatives is what I'm looking for.  Please remember that I'm NOT using this with an IPAD or Android tablet.  This is a PC running Windows XT.

                  The best possibilities seem to be:

      AirTurn’s BT-105, PageFlip’s Cicada, and Bili’s Footime.

                      SEE:  http://www.forscoreapp.com/page-turners/

                            Can I get some feedback from any users?    I like to sight read Fakebooks, so I intend to just select what interests me at a given moment (e.g., picking a .pdf song or book of songs).  I'm not going to concern myself with SEARCH.  So, my need is really just page forward/down.

                                     Thanks in advance,

                                                  Bob