Re: Re : [yamaha-psr-songs] "To Host " PSR 2000.

  • Glenn Vincent Yazon
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1 5:48 PM
      Thanks for the advice. On second thought, a cable with adaptor to accomodate a USB flash drive would also be much more convenient, and would no longer require a laptop to be connected. Any other ideas. Thanks!

      De : Glenn Vincent <goyazon@...>
      À : yamaha-psr-songs@yahoogroups.com
      Envoyé le : Lun 28 février 2011, 2h 31min 31s
      Objet : [yamaha-psr-songs] "To Host " PSR 2000.

      Greetings!

      I`m afraid that my PSR 2000 will soon be unuseable for playing prerecorded sequences when my floppy disk dies, although still going strong. My only hope is the port that says "To Host" May I know what kind of cable I can attach to this port to accept either USB flash drives or laptop USB?

      Thanks and God bless us All!

    • Agapoff Arthur
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2 12:09 AM

        Hi,

        Cables and adaptors aren't this magic, sorry.

        USB is a very recent technology (since '90s) compared to simple serial (RS232C) protocols (well before first IBM PC was built).

        It uses intelligent handshake any cable couldn't afford.

        So as your PSR doesn't know what USB is, what you are searching for would be an adaptor that

        1) knows how to handshake with specific PSR2000 TO HOST port (so it is almost as complex as a Yamaha CBX driver)

        and

        2) accepts USB sticks. Wow.

        Wonderful if you find any crazy enough guy to build such an adaptor:

        He'll need a specific printed circuit board, microprocessor, lots of electronic stuff including serial + USB port, don't forget an external power supply, and more, a very deep knowledge of Yamaha TO HOST port handshake and protocols :(

        So if your goal is to store and retrieve files using thumb memory sticks, please consider real world and existing solutions:

        You need either

        * Yamaha 8 pin to DB9 serial câble + (laptop) PC with DB9 port + Yamaha CBX driver + USB port

        * Floppy Disc Emulator (as a replacement for your actual PSR2000 Floppy Disc Drive). One USB stick is said to hold up to 100 x 3.5" discs, but you'll have to quit using real floppies. See my previous post.

        Regards.

        Arthur.

        De : Glenn Vincent Yazon <goyazon@...>
        À : yamaha-psr-songs@yahoogroups.com
        Envoyé le : Mer 2 mars 2011, 2h 48min 12s
        Objet : Re: Re : [yamaha-psr-songs] "To Host " PSR 2000.

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2 9:34 AM

          Hi again,

          Reading the web is interesting so here are my final conclusions about your query:

          TO HOST port is just another way to send and receive MIDI data

          This way, Yamaha (and other Midi Instruments manufacturers) supplies an alternative to consumers that don't have a MIDI interface board inside their PC.

          * MIDI plugs are current loop driven at 31250 bps,

          * TO HOST is voltage driven (likely between +/-9V to +/- 12V) standard RS232C compliant, at 38400 bps, so may be plugged directly into any RS232C device (31250 bits per second data rate is not achievable on most COM ports settings)

          You may tell me newer TO HOST ports are USB ones.

          Yes but they are B-Type sockets, they're only designed to be connected to a computer via a standard B (square) to A (flat) USB cable.

          Look closely to a memory stick : its a A-Type, it directly plugs into a computer or a instrument with a A-Type USB port, like Tyros have.

          What does this imply?

          This means that the only difference are the data rate, physical connectors and electrical levels.

          This means that you do same things with MIDI or TO HOST ports : it only deals with real-time raw MIDI data.

          This means that you never be able to store a file into an USB memory key with raw MIDI data. Because you'd need to give it a name, first, and tell when you start playing, and when it must end recording.

          And how would you load MIDI data, without having a name to tell which one you want?

          So, please forget using TO HOST for anything else than connect a PC (with a DB9 COM port).

          If you do want to continue using a media to store and retrieve files and you're afraid of the day your floppy disk drive is dead, please consider having a look at this too : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_0O7tWxNcM

          Hope this helps and you understand every word above :)

          Best regards,

          De : Glenn Vincent Yazon <goyazon@...>
          À : yamaha-psr-songs@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3 9:03 PM
            Thanks Arthur. it looks like a very complicated solution indeed. I guess I need to sell my board while I still can and
            buy the latest PSR. God Bless!

            De : Glenn Vincent Yazon <goyazon@...>
            À : yamaha-psr-songs@yahoogroups.com