Re: [yamaha-psr-songs] Re: Dr Zhivago - theme

  • Cray Z Fournotes
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2007
      Yes, Michael, it is possible that his touch is set too hard, and yet on most keyboards the
      tonal quality of a hard-struck piano note is vastly different from notes carressed softly
      as Chris appartently did. (This is why the Piano's full name is Piano-Forte, because it
      has greater dynamic range than many other instruments.)

      So while the keys could have been hit harder or the MIDI file could be processed in a
      program like Cakewalk to move the velocities into a higher range, it's not clear that the
      outcome would have had the same quality that Chris delivered here. The downside is that
      some keyboards may not have been able to turn up the volume enough to hear the song well.
      My PSR9000 has tons of volume available, but the PSR540 that I used to owned was very
      underpowered and would not have handled this well.

      I said it before; I thought this was a beautiful piece Chris! (All the rest is just
      technical discussion which I enjoy too.)

      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2007
        Yes, you must have your email preference set to "receive individual messages" to get any of the attached files. If you go with the daily digest, you will not get any file attachments. And since Yahoo does not store them, you can not go anywhere to get them. If you want the files, you must receive individual messages.

        Tom G.

        Bob Gelman wrote:

        Bob - I think the posting problem was just that I had switched to the
        daily digest. Does this prevent me from posting a message with an
        attachment? When I switched back to individual messages all was well.

                That's interesting; news to me!  Can't imagine why that would be the case.....   I asked mostly so we'd have some "insight" into solving this if others get caught up in it.....

                         Cheers,

                               Bob

        --- In yamaha-psr-songs@ yahoogroups. com, "Brian Haylett"
        <bhaylett@.. .> wrote:

        > The first stored midi I chose to listen to on my repaired keyboard,
        and it
        > didn't disappoint. Your usual mastery shines through immediately,
        Chris.

        > Brian
        >
        > On 9/23/07, Chris Bell <cb2020@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Here's a short piece of music which I picked up from the 2002
        re-make
        > > of "Dr Zhivago".
        > >
        > > A simple, but beautiful melody, which was used to accompany a
        tender
        > > candlelit love scene between Yury and Lara on the night before
        she was taken
        > > away by Victor Komarovsky.
        > >

        > > .

      • Brian Haylett

          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 1, 2007

            Brian I was referring to posting an attachment to the Group, rather than receiving one.

            Chris

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 1, 2007

              Tom I was referring to posting an attachment to the Group, rather than receiving one.

              Chris

              <bhaylett@.. .> wrote:

              > The first stored midi I chose to listen to on my repaired keyboard,
              and it
              > didn't disappoint. Your usual mastery shines through immediately,
              Chris.

              > Brian
              >
              > On 9/23/07, Chris Bell <cb2020@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Here's a short piece of music which I picked up from the 2002
              re-make
              > > of "Dr Zhivago".
              > >
              > > A simple, but beautiful melody, which was used to accompany a
              tender
              > > candlelit love scene between Yury and Lara on the night before
              she was taken
              > > away by Victor Komarovsky.
              > >

              > > .

            • Chris Bell
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 1, 2007

                Hi Michael and CZF

                Thanks for the comments.

                Yes, I do have my Touch Sensitivity set to HARD1. I’ve tried it with a softer setting, but I can’t get the same dynamic range out of the 3K. I need to be able to almost stroke the keys on the very quiet passages, to get the p and pp levels for strings and piano voices.

                On the 3K I get an acceptable volume level with Master Volume set at around 60%, so it must be down to different keyboards causing low volume. After recording, what I tend to do, if I’m creating a piece with quiet passages, is to raise the volume of the loudest track to almost 127 and slide the other tracks up by the same percentage, to get the loudest result without altering the velocity and thereby altering the tone of the Voice.

                Regards

                Chris

                > On my T2, the song plays very softly. The channel volumes are near max, 120,
                > unusual for a midi that are usually between 80 and 100.
                >
                > It looks to me that the velocity of the note events is the cause. I looked
                > in Cakewalk and almost all are in the range of 12- 25 out of a total
                > possible of 127. I suspect that your machine's touch might have been sent to
                > Hard.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Michael
                >
                > _____

              • Tom G
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 1, 2007
                  I see, Chris.
                  Sounds like you must be on "receive individual emails" to both post and receive file attachments then.

                  Tom G.

                  <bhaylett@.. .> wrote:

                  > The first stored midi I chose to listen to on my repaired keyboard,
                  and it
                  > didn't disappoint. Your usual mastery shines through immediately,
                  Chris.

                  > Brian
                  >
                  > On 9/23/07, Chris Bell <cb2020@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Here's a short piece of music which I picked up from the 2002
                  re-make
                  > > of "Dr Zhivago".
                  > >
                  > > A simple, but beautiful melody, which was used to accompany a
                  tender
                  > > candlelit love scene between Yury and Lara on the night before
                  she was taken
                  > > away by Victor Komarovsky.
                  > >

                  > > .

                • Bob Gelman
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 1, 2007
                        The problem was SENDING an email to the group, not receiving one.  I didn't think a digest member couldn't SEND.....

                                Bob

                    I'm very surprised that you're surprised! We're continually advising people that Individual Emails is the only way to receive attachments.

                    Brian

                    On 9/30/07, Bob Gelman <bobgelman@sbcglobal .net> wrote:

                    Bob - I think the posting problem was just that I had switched to the
                    daily digest. Does this prevent me from posting a message with an
                    attachment? When I switched back to individual messages all was well.

                            That's interesting; news to me!  Can't imagine why that would be the case.....   I asked mostly so we'd have some "insight" into solving this if others get caught up in it.....

                  • Michael P. Bedesem
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 1, 2007
                      Chris:

                      I understand.

                      I tried myself. The Hard1 setting gives a filtered sound, in addition to making lower minimum volumes possible, that I was not able to duplicate with the other settings.

                      I searched the manual, but was not able to find any definition of hard1 versusl soft2 etc. But in voice edit, there are two parameters, offset and depth. These are the parameters that are probably set by the choice that you make.

                      If you use voice edit to make a version of the voice, you can determine where to place them to suit the music; this might be better than accepting the choice offered by the initial touch settings. There may be a combination which does not sacrifice so much volume, or one which fits the music or your style better.

                      Note the the Hard/ Soft setting is applied to all voices for which Initial Touch is enabled. For combined voices, (e.g. R1 + R2), what might be ideal for one might be poor the other.

                      Another observation. The sound that we hear when we play the midi through our PSR is determined by the compression settings that exist on the instrument over which it is played. The manual says that the some of the EQ settings are saved in a song, but I did not find this to be the case.

                      Regards,

                      Michael

                      > On my T2, the song plays very softly. The channel volumes are near max, 120,
                      > unusual for a midi that are usually between 80 and 100.
                      >
                      > It looks to me that the velocity of the note events is the cause. I looked
                      > in Cakewalk and almost all are in the range of 12- 25 out of a total
                      > possible of 127. I suspect that your machine's touch might have been sent to
                      > Hard.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > Michael
                      >
                      > _____

                    • Chris Bell
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 1, 2007

                        Very interesting Michael thanks. I understand what you are saying.

                        Actually, I did mean to mention the point about EQ settings when talking about the volume I hear on my 3K. I normally play mine with raised EQ settings, so again I will hear more volume.

                        Regards

                        Chris

                        > On my T2, the song plays very softly. The channel volumes are near max, 120,
                        > unusual for a midi that are usually between 80 and 100.
                        >
                        > It looks to me that the velocity of the note events is the cause. I looked
                        > in Cakewalk and almost all are in the range of 12- 25 out of a total
                        > possible of 127. I suspect that your machine's touch might have been sent to
                        > Hard.
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        >
                        > Michael
                        >
                        > _____

                      • Brian Haylett
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 2, 2007
                          Yes, sorry, Bob and Chris. In that case I am very surprised too.

                          Brian