[Fwd: PSR Tutorial August Newsletter]

  • Joe Waters
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2003
      I sent out this newsletter to everyone on the psrtutorial mailing list yesterday.  I received quite a few "returns" because mailboxes were full and no more emails were being accepted.  I also received notice about a few addresses that were not valid.  If you believe you are on the mailing list and haven't received the newsletter, you might want to check the status of your mailbox or make sure we have your correct mailing address.  - Joe

      PSR Tutorial Monthly Update

      August 31, 2003New Performers, Lessons, and Styles added in August.
      New PSR Styles
      Charley has started a new collection of style "Gems." These are styles he has discovered while exploring the ocean of styles available over the internet that he thinks are particularly good. There are 32 styles, complete with OTS, in each of the first two "Gem" disks. Charley also continued enhancing styles by adding OTS to the PSR-2000 factory styles (28 styles) and by sending in two disks (49 styles) of German Tyros styles. Warren Peters added his 5th Gig Disk (28 styles) and Moein Ahmadipour sent in 96 Iranian and Arabic styles. So, if you are into collecting styles, August was a good month with 263 styles added to the site.
      PSR Performers
      110 songs were added to our PSR Performers song library in August -- 50 new songs from our regulars and 60 new songs from NEW performers. I am very happy to announce the introduction of three new PSR performers this month. Ton Anthonie, from Australia, sent us his first two volumes. Bob Boyd, from the UK, sent in two volumes and then added a third at the end of the month. Chico Brazil, from, of course, Brazil, sent in his first volume. Many thanks to our new performers and to those regulars who also added new volumes in August: Alex Green (Vol. 7), Will Stewart (Vol. 7), Bob McKinney (Vol. 2), Bruno
      Schettino (Vol. 23), and Del Kay (Vol. 22). If you'd like to hear Vince Andreone sing one of his songs, we have added link to one of his MP3 files.
      A New PSR Tutorial Is on the Way
      Progress on my "Music Finder" project was interrupted when I discovered that the psrtutorial site had grown too big for Net Objects Fusion 4.0 to handle. This program, which I used to create this site, saves the entire site structure into one file which is then loaded and edited to make changes or add additional pages after which the program then "publishes" the site in the form of html pages and whatever other files are required. That single site file had grown to 32 MB which, apparently, is a bit too big since Net Objects started crashing. There are now over 250 pages in the site. This doesn't count, by the way, any of the files (songs, styles, and others) that are available for download.

      So, out of necessity, I had to bite the bullet and start the switch to a newer site management tool. I am switching to a progra m called Dreamweaver. I found that I could use the new program to make simple edits to the "published" files and so I have been able to add to pages that were already there (adding a new song, adding more styles, etc). But I really need to rebuild the pages from scratch to make the most effective use of Dreamweaver. So, I am in the process of redoing the site. I will be able to use some neat features that will, I hope, make maintenance easier. Of course, there is a learning curve involved and I am in the process of crawling up that curve. Perhaps, by my next monthly report, I will be reporting on the "new" psrtutorial site.
      New Lessons
      Five more lessons were added to the Chord Progressions series. Weeks 34-28 covering Chord Substitutions and "Gospel" Progressions. Only one more lesson left -- and that is graduation day!

      Bob Durham expanded the lessons on mixing style parts by showing how to copy an intro (or ending) from one style and put it in another by creating a 4th intro (or ending) in that style.
      Fake Book Song Index
      With a new PSR-2100, it's time for a new Master Music Finder file. For that project, I wanted to first update my fake book song index, and modify song titles so they appear in an order similar to that in the various song books.
      I spent much of the month checking my index of songs in fake books. I was able to review 26 books -- about 14,000 of the 19,000 records -- and was able to make quite a few corrections. But, as you can see in the message to the left, this project is now temporarily on hold.

    • Vincent Andreone
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2003
        JOE,

        An excellent news letter.  Your hard work and time makes Psrtutorial the website of choice for the arranger keyboard community.  Thanks,

        Vinnie

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2003

          Well Joe ... that sounds like one helluva task.
          I've written my own site "from scratch" using HTML and I would guess it contains only around 25 pages.
          I take my hat off to you.
          Thanks also for your latest newsletter.
          Regards
          Chris