In last 7 days
All posts to the course discussion list are moderated to eliminate spam.
Basic Genealogy is a free course designed to help people get started on tracing their family tree including definitions of important terms and direction on documentation and procedures.
A person who successfully completes the course hopefully will:
- Know exactly where and with whom to begin as they build their family tree.
- Be able to name at least five genealogical sources found in almost everyone's home.
- Know the difference between a primary source and a secondary source (and the importance of each).
- Know how to properly and effectively document their findings.
- Know the difference between an Ahentafel report and a Registry Report.
- Know what a "ged.com" is.
- Know what a "pedigree" chart is and how to create one.
- Know what a family group sheet is.
- Know what "soundex" is.
- Know what a query is and how to write one.
- Know who "Cyndi" is.
- Be able to name the oldest and largest free genealogy site on the web.
The Student Roster on this list is private; only the instructor has access. Caution: If you post a message to the list, your email address will be seen. If you wish to maintain your privacy, please send your questions directly to the instructor. Please limit your postings or questions to general genealogical subjects.
- May 10, 2002
- This is a public group.
- Attachments are not permitted.
- Members cannot hide email address.
- Listed in Yahoo Groups directory.
- Membership does not require approval.
- Messages require approval.
- All members can post messages.