Running 2 (or more) XXCOPY.exe instances in parallel on the same (source) directory possible? Performance?

  • Ben Stover
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 9, 2009
      Say I want to sync a (large) source directory tree with 2 different target directories.

      Can I run 2 instances of XXCOPY simultaneously ?

      Or do they share common resources (files, settings,....) ?

      If yes: What about the performance?

      Say the XXCOPY job1 would last (if run as a single step) 20 minutes
      and XXCOPY job 2 would need (if run as a single step) 15 minutes

      How long does a parallel job need?

      Less (due to exploiting interleaving wait states) or more (due to unnecessary repositioning of hard disc sectors)?

      Ben
    • Garry Deane
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 9, 2009
        --- In xxcopy@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Stover" <bxstover@...> wrote:

        > Say I want to sync a (large) source directory tree with 2
        > different target directories.
        >
        > Can I run 2 instances of XXCOPY simultaneously ?
        >
        > Or do they share common resources (files, settings,....) ?
        >
        > If yes: What about the performance?
        >
        > Say the XXCOPY job1 would last (if run as a single step)
        > 20 minutes and XXCOPY job 2 would need (if run as a single
        > step) 15 minutes
        >
        > How long does a parallel job need?
        >
        > Less (due to exploiting interleaving wait states) or more
        > (due to unnecessary repositioning of hard disc sectors)?
        >
        > Ben

        You can run multiple instances of xxcopy without problems.
        Xxcopy uses the registry when running to track any errors
        but does so separately for each instance.

        I don't think that you'll lose anything running xxcopy in
        parallel but also that you probably won't gain much since
        xxcopy is largely IO bound. Possibly if the IO is limited by
        network speed, there may be some gains. Others have posted
        that they run multiple xxcopy commands simultaneously so
        there may be some benefits. Do some benchmarking to see how
        it goes in your environment.

        Garry