File move

  • Shibu.Narayanan@iflexsolutions.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1 4:33 AM
      In an earlier version of xxcopy, when we give a "move" command, the
      files are first copied and then the source files are removed. If the
      source and destination folders are on the same drive, this is a very
      inefficient way of moving the files. It should simply move the file and
      not do a copy and then delete from source.

      Is this the same behavior in the current version?

      Shibu Narayanan
      Consultant, PrimeSourcing Division, Investment Banking Group
      Tel.Office: 91-80-2208-6270 or 91-80-6659-6270
      e-mail: shibu.narayanan@...
      The answer is 42.

      DISCLAIMER:
      This message contains privileged and confidential information and is intended only for an individual named. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute, store, print, copy or deliver this message. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete or contain viruses. The sender, therefore, does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy version.
    • ardwych
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 17, 2008
        You're drawing a distinction without a difference aren't you, Shibu?

        A move is effectively a move/delete. The only difference is the
        treatment of the internal dates: Move doesn't change them; copy does.

        An xxcopy move is a move.