Re: XXCOPY exclusion does not work

  • Chris Date
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
      Kan,

      << I suspect ..\DIVERS\.. should probably be ..\DRIVERS\.. >>

      You don't speak French then! "Divers" means miscellaneous, so
      EMPLOI\SALARIE\DIVERS might translate as something like EMPLOYMENT\SALARIED\MISC

      Chris
    • frchausson
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
        Kan/Chris

        Thank you first for your answers.

        Yes, I had a typo into my append; actually, I copy from a H: disk to
        a C: disk.

        Yes DIVERS in French means, as Chris pointed it, Various.

        Basically, what I am trying to accomplish is to copy the whole \Fran\
        directory to the slight exception of the \Fran\...\ subdirectories I
        mentionned.

        Along with your answer, Kan, I just did a test tonight which showed:
        - no exclusion item list line
        - the "excluded" files were indeed copied

        All in all, exclusion, as I coded it, does not work.

        My initial question remains: how should I code exclusion to
        accomplish what I intend to?

        Thank you in advance for your answers.

        --- In xxcopy@yahoogroups.com, Kan Yabumoto <tech@...> wrote:

        > Frchausson wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello
        > >
        > > During a classical XXCOPY copy operation, I need to exclude
        > > part of the source directories content.
        > >
        > > I go with this exclusion statement:
        > >
        > > /XC:\Fran\EMPLOI\SALARIE\DIVERS\ZZZ\doc\*\*.*
        > >
        > > knowing that the copy operation is upon the full C:\Fran\
        > > directory.
        > >
        > > My trouble is that the files contained into the \ZZZ\doc\
        > > subset directories are indeed copied to the target destination.
        > >
        > > Here is the complete XXCOPY statement:
        > >
        > > xxcopy C:\Fran\*.* C:\Fran\ /s/YY/BI/ZY
        > /FF /oNC:\fran\eCHanges\Miroir\franlog.txt /oF2 /q3
        > /XC:\Fran\EMPLOI\SALARIE\DIVERS\ZZZ\doc\*\*.*
        > >
        > > would this matter.
        > >
        > > Thank you in advance for your kind help
        >
        > I'm sure something is wrong with the command line that was
        > shown here. The source and the destination directory are
        > identical and XXCOPY will refuse to go any further.
        >

        > The original command should be cleaner (and more
        > accurate) with
        >

        > xxcopy
        > c:\Fran\
        X:\Fran\ /S/BI/ZY/FF/OF2/Q3/X:EMPLOI\SALARIE\DIVERS\ZZZ\DOC\

        > (a few switches are omitted).
        >
        > My guess of why it's not working as desired is due
        > to carelessness (typing and/or reading).
        >
        > I suspect ..\DIVERS\.. should probably be ..\DRIVERS\..
        >
        > ========
        >
        > There is a way to debug an exclusion related situation.
        >
        > Add /oX/debug switch to the command line and run it.
        >
        > The /DEBUG switch will confirm what operating parameters
        > are in effect. With the /oX switch, it will list the
        > current "exclusion list" that is in force.
        >
        > You should see lines like this.

        > Exclusion Items List
        > C 1: C:\Fran\EMPLOI\SALARIE\DIVERS\ZZZ\doc\
        >

        > If you don't see it, the exclusion specifier you entered
        > was purged during the pre-processing phase. In order
        > to run the XXCOPY operation efficiently, XXCOPY massages
        > at the beginning the exclusion specifiers and discards any
        > exclusion item that does not apply to the current operation
        > (e.g., when you specify a non-existing directory,
        > it will be purged for sure).
        >

        > Since the command line had another critical
        > typo (the identical source/destination directories),
        > I'm not sure if this was also a typo in this posting
        > (not in the actual command). In either case, my hunch
        > is on sloppy typing (that is exactly why I suggest
        > not to use /YY).
        >

        > Kan Yabumoto

      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
          --- In xxcopy@yahoogroups.com, "frchausson" <frchausson@...> wrote:

          > Yes, I had a typo into my append; actually, I copy from a H: disk to
          > a C: disk.
          >

          > All in all, exclusion, as I coded it, does not work.
          >
          > My initial question remains: how should I code exclusion to
          > accomplish what I intend to?

          If your source drive is H: an exclusion specifying a file on drive C: will not work.

          Also you could drop the end *\*.* from your exclusion as it is redundant.

          See if this one works:

          /XH:\Fran\EMPLOI\SALARIE\DIVERS\ZZZ\doc\

          (Note drive H: is used instead of drive C:)

          John
        • frchausson
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
            John

            You are absolutely right, exclusion deals with the source drive. I
            just tested your solution, which works perfectly.

            You know what good ideas are like? someting one should have thought
            at the first place.

            Thank you sincerely for your help.